Could really use some help with the notation in this example

In summary, the conversation discusses artificial neural networks and their mathematical operations. A number is inputted at the start of each horizontal line and travels along the line, with the numbers at each node being summed and sent to the other side. Each line also has a weight that is multiplied with the number traveling along it. The formula for calculating the value of a hidden node is explained, with i representing the input layer and j representing the hidden layer. The conversation also addresses confusion about the meaning of w12, which is the weight of the line between input i=1 and hidden node j=2.
CraigH
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/6414/puag.png

The picture above is used to help understand artificial neural networks, however for now this doesn't matter as I'm only concerned with the maths.

A number is input at the start of each both horizontal lines at the left hand side. The numbers travel along the lines from left to right and at each node (circle) the numbers at that node are summed together and sent out the other side.

Each line also has an associated "weight", this weight is multiplied with the number traveling along the line before it is sent to the attached node. For example if the numbers (2,2,2) are inputted, and all of the lines have a weight of 2, then the final output will be 192.

This is all I understand so far. The rest I have guessed using the information given in the picture above.

I'm guessing that i is a variable that ranges from 1 to 3, j is a variable that ranges from 1 to 2, and k is a variable that is always 1.

so in the formula

[itex]x_{j}=\sum_{i}w_{ij}*I_{i}[/itex]

[itex]x_{j}[/itex] is the value of the 'j'th hidden node

and

[itex]I_{i}[/itex] is the value of the 'i'th input

e.g [itex]I_{1}[/itex] will be the 1st input (going into the top horizontal line)

[itex]w_{ij}[/itex] will be the "weight" of the line before the node, however I do not understand what to do when there are two subscripts next to it.

So for example the value of the 2nd hidden node will be

[itex]x_{2}=\displaystyle\sum\limits_{i=1}^3 w_{i2}*I_{i}[/itex]

I just do not understand how you evaluate the sum when you have 2 subscripts under a variable as is the case with [itex]w_{ij}[/itex]

can someone please explain?

Or have I completely misunderstood the whole network and I'm getting everything wrong?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
As I interpret this, i indicates which input layer (1, 2, or 3), and j indicates which hidden layer (1 or 2).

$$\sum_{i = 1}^3 w_{i2} * I_i $$
means w12 * I1 + w22 * I2 + w32 * I3

Mark44 said:
means w12 * I1 + w22 * I2 + w32 * I3

But what does w12 mean?

say that the 1st input line has a weight of 3 and the second hidden layer line has a weight of 4 would w12 mean 3*4 ?

so I1 would be multiplied by 12?

CraigH said:
But what does w12 mean?

say that the 1st input line has a weight of 3 and the second hidden layer line has a weight of 4 would w12 mean 3*4 ?

so I1 would be multiplied by 12?
I don't think so. There are six lines that join the three input nodes to the two hidden nodes. The weights are associated with the lines, not the nodes. That's my take, anyway, but I could be wrong.

The layers don't have weights, the individual connections have. w12 is the weight how input i=1 influences the hidden node j=2.

Thanks for your answers mark44/mfb. I'm still not fully sure with this question but i'll come back to it in the morning when I'm less tired and have another go at it. Thanks!

mfb said:
e. w12 is the weight how input i=1 influences the hidden node j=2.

ah so w12 is the weight of the line between i=1 and j=2. This seems obvious now. Thank you!

1. What does the notation in this example mean?

The notation in this example is a symbolic representation of a mathematical or scientific concept. It is used to convey information in a concise and standardized way.

2. Can you explain the meaning of the symbols used in this notation?

Yes, the symbols used in the notation have specific meanings that are defined and understood within the context of the scientific field or discipline being studied.

3. How do I read and interpret this notation?

To read and interpret this notation, you will need to have a basic understanding of the concepts and principles being represented. It is also helpful to refer to any key or legend provided with the notation.

4. Are there different notations for the same concept or formula?

Yes, there can be different notations for the same concept or formula, depending on the context or preference of the person or group using it. However, the underlying meaning and principles remain the same.

5. Where can I find more information on the notation used in this example?

You can find more information on the notation used in this example by referring to textbooks, scientific articles, or online resources specific to the field or discipline in which it is being used.