Could Steam and Coke Reactions Lead to Water Gas Formation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter chemguy777
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Combustion Steam
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
chemguy777
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Once upon a time I managed (unintentionally) to use a primitive centrifuge to spin a jet of steam. The spinning steam jet separated (or more likely partially separated) into hydrogen and oxygen components. A blue flame appeared at the confluence of gasses. I do believe that steam had partial combustion.
Any ideas?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Is there anything that can burn in steam? From what I remember thermal decomposition of water requires temperatures well above the typical temperature of steam used in industrial settings.
 
Not exactly burn but steam coming into contact with red hot coke produces the dangerous ' water gas ' .

Accidental or out of control production of water gas in malfunctioning equipment in industry caused several serious incidents in Victorian times .

Coke can be formed when many carbon based materials are overheated .