Could the mind run on binary codes?

• Medical
  • Thread starter ISamson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Binary Mind
In summary: This hybrid digital-analog, dendrite-soma, duo-processor parallel computing "is a major departure from what neuroscientists have believed for about 60 years," says Mehta. It’s like uncovering a secret life of neurons, he adds.The idea that the nervous system operates on a mix of "binary" (action potentials as on/off functioning) and analog (dendritic and cell body summation of grade potentials) has been around since before I want to graduate school (1980's). So, Dr. Mehta is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayank
ISamson
Gold Member
Hello,

I was wondering:
Since the mind works on electrical signals, it must work on binary codes, because there is electrical signal or not. If so, is the only thing that distinguishes us from a computer the length of the "bit"?
What do you think?
Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
Ivan Samsonov said:
Hello,

I was wondering:
Since the mind works on electrical signals, it must work on binary codes, because there is electrical signal or not. If so, is the only thing that distinguishes us from a computer the length of the "bit"?
What do you think?
Thanks.
It's fair to say no one knows precisely what's going up up in our noggins, but strings of zeros and ones it hain't. From what I recall from my lay reading, neurons either fire or they don't (digital), but biochemical pathways behave more in an analog manner. Wiki's 'simulation model' section on "Mind Uploading" outlines several of the issues involved.

Likes BillTre
Asymptotic said:
From what I recall from my lay reading, neurons either fire or they don't (digital), but biochemical pathways behave more in an analog manner.

Since they fire or they don't means that there is signal or not. This is binary, right? I agree, there are no strings of ones and zeros in our mind, but it is still similar to the binary system. Right?

Ivan Samsonov said:
Since they fire or they don't means that there is signal or not. This is binary, right? I agree, there are no strings of ones and zeros in our mind, but it is still similar to the binary system. Right?
Do you understand that not all electricity is digital? There is this thing called analog, and for all we know the amplitude of the firing is important in which case the neurons are analog, not digital.

Also, you mentioned the "length of the bit". That is a contradiction in terms.

Likes Asymptotic, BillTre and Evo
Nerve impulses increase in frequency as the stimulus increases. They do not increase in amplitude. A loud sound, for instance, does not increase the amplitude of the nerve impulse, but increases the frequency of the impulses.

Likes Asymptotic
Ivan Samsonov said:

Neuron firing is binary - 0 or 1, off or on, false or true - but these pulses are presented as @AgentSmith describes, and although I don't know if the resemblance is more than skin deep, it puts me in mind of pulse density modulation in the electronics realm. Browsed through several recent articles, and it appears our understanding of how the brain operates has changed since the late '90s when I'd been reading up on neural networks and fuzzy logic controllers.

Excerpted from the March 2017 SingularityHub article "Is the Brain More Powerful Than We Thought? Here Comes the Science".
What’s even stranger is how the dendrites managed their own activity. Neuron spikes—the cell body type—is often considered “all or none,” in that you either have an action potential or not.

Zero or one; purely digital.

While dendrites can fire digitally, in addition, they also generated large, graded fluctuations roughly twice as large as the spikes themselves.

“This large range…shows analog computation in the dendrite. This has never been seen before in any neural activity patterns,” says Mehta.

This hybrid digital-analog, dendrite-soma, duo-processor parallel computing “is a major departure from what neuroscientists have believed for about 60 years,” says Mehta. It’s like uncovering a secret life of neurons, he adds.

Dr. Mayank Mehta

The idea that the nervous system operates on a mix of "binary" (action potentials as on/off functioning) and analog (dendritic and cell body summation of grade potentials) has been around since before I want to graduate school (1980's). So, Dr. Mehta is http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/336299!

The digital part is almost exclusively restricted to transmission over the distances between different neurons.
The actual communication points between an axon and dendrite or cell body through a chemical synapse involves a lot non-digital-ish biochemical events: the action potential coming down the axon depolarizes its terminal (end), which triggers calcium influx, which triggers synaptic vesicles to release their contents (neurotransmitters), which diffuse across the space between the pre- and post-synaptic cell surfaces and bind receptors, which let ions flow in or stimulate intracellular biochemical changes, which can cause small local changes in membrane potential, which can add up (summation) to either trigger or not trigger an action potential. Each of these steps is subject to modulation due to its local biochemistry, the geometry of the cell it is part of, it location in the cell, the metabolic status of the cell (it previous history). It gets complex.
Each neuron has often been thought of as a little computer due to the complexity of these input/output relationships some cases, just single dendrites (a sub-part of the whole neuron) can act independently in a similar way.

In addition, the brain is massively parallel in its operation. This may or may not be considered digital (I think of it more as a computer architecture aspect), but it is a big part of its functioning.

All intensity coding in the brain is not based on rate of impulse production.
Sometimes more neurons in a group will be recruited to fire.
That could be considered adding additional transmission channels (more neurons in parallel), which I guess could also be digital.

Likes ISamson and Asymptotic
Ivan Samsonov said:
Hello,

I was wondering:
What do you think?
Thanks.
In case you're interested, Roger Penrose wrote a whole book on this: " The Emperor's New Mind" .https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-emperors-new-mind-roger-penrose/1110858490

I recall Na+ , K+ switches ... Kind of like a binary ... (?)

Ivan Samsonov said:
Hello,

I was wondering:
What do you think?
Thanks.

The brain does not just run on electrical signals.

Axons transmit signals electrically (via ion flows) but transmission to a another nerve is via synapse. This is a small space between the cells ("synapse") in which are deposited chemicals called neurotransmitters. These are released as a result of the electrical signal. At this critical point, the transmission is via chemicals such as acetylcholine, serotonin glutamate, noradrenaline etc. There does not have to be only one transmitter. Some neurotransmitters may be stimulatory and some may be inhibitory and these can be deposited in the same synapse, so this is a somewhat "analogue" process. Neurotransmitters are recycled and the rate of recycling an storage may affect transmission. Synapses show fatigue so the degree of stimulation lessens over time with a given transmitter. Ion concentrations such as Ca, K ,Na and Mg concentration may affect signalling.

There may well be other less well understood factors that impact on signalling. For instance it is thought the glial cells in the brain such as astrocytes may be able to "dial up" or "dial down" signalling. Interestingly astrocytes are highly branched cells, even compared to neurones, so neurones (and electrical signally) may not be the full story.

In electrical terms it is not just "duration" of the bit that counts (like PWM) but also the frequency of firing. Actually probably the frequency of firing (or spiking) is very important but the actual duration of the spike is not that important.

Likes Asymptotic, BillTre and ISamson
sgall said:
The brain does not just run on electrical signals.

Axons transmit signals electrically (via ion flows) but transmission to a another nerve is via synapse. This is a small space between the cells ("synapse") in which are deposited chemicals called neurotransmitters. These are released as a result of the electrical signal. At this critical point, the transmission is via chemicals such as acetylcholine, serotonin glutamate, noradrenaline etc. There does not have to be only one transmitter. Some neurotransmitters may be stimulatory and some may be inhibitory and these can be deposited in the same synapse, so this is a somewhat "analogue" process. Neurotransmitters are recycled and the rate of recycling an storage may affect transmission. Synapses show fatigue so the degree of stimulation lessens over time with a given transmitter. Ion concentrations such as Ca, K ,Na and Mg concentration may affect signalling.

There may well be other less well understood factors that impact on signalling. For instance it is thought the glial cells in the brain such as astrocytes may be able to "dial up" or "dial down" signalling. Interestingly astrocytes are highly branched cells, even compared to neurones, so neurones (and electrical signally) may not be the full story.

In electrical terms it is not just "duration" of the bit that counts (like PWM) but also the frequency of firing. Actually probably the frequency of firing (or spiking) is very important but the actual duration of the spike is not that important.

Yeah, I also now think that signals in the brain are chemically transmitted rather than electrically. Right?

Gap junctions are electrical transmission lines between neurons whose signals can travel in both directions between neurons, while synapses are chemical transmission lines between neurons whose signals can only travel one way i.e. from the pre-synaptic to the post-synaptic neuron.

Moreover, the topic discussed over here is extremely relevant to the discussion in this thread.

Many neurons are binary'ish, brains are not; and the concept of binary doesn't really apply to "minds", depending on what you might mean by that.

1) Can the mind actually run on binary codes?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that the mind can run entirely on binary code. While the brain does use electrical impulses to transmit information, the complexity of the mind and consciousness cannot be reduced to simple binary codes.

2) Are there any scientific theories or studies that support the idea of the mind running on binary codes?

There are some theories that suggest the brain may use binary codes in some capacity, such as the neural code theory. However, these theories are still speculative and have not been definitively proven.

3) How would the mind be able to process and interpret binary codes?

The mind is incredibly complex and is not limited to simple binary processes. While computers can quickly process binary code, the human brain has many additional functions and processes that allow for complex thinking, emotions, and creativity.

4) Could advancements in technology eventually allow for the mind to run on binary codes?

It is possible that future technologies may be able to enhance or augment the capabilities of the mind, but it is unlikely that the mind will ever solely rely on binary codes for its functioning.

5) What are the potential implications of the mind running on binary codes?

If it were possible for the mind to run entirely on binary codes, it could have significant implications for our understanding of consciousness and artificial intelligence. However, this is still purely speculative and there is no evidence to support this idea.