Couldn't find em, so I had them made

• Thread starter vadslram
  • Start date
Maxwells Demon
dontdisturbmycircles

There are to opposite and equal forces? The jet propulsion moving the plane "forward" and the conveyor belt spinning backwards..

So I don't really see what you're talking about????

Yes but the conveyer belt spinning backwards does not push the PLANE backwards, it simply SPINS the wheels. So they are NOT equal and opposite, really think about it maxwells, please! But I think that's enough, you can private message me later if you want and we can carry on the discussion. I don't want to get this thread locked. :-)

Maxwells Demon
I see what you mean.. you mean if the wheels of the plane had no friction at the shaft, and the conveyor belt were spinning, then the plane would be still... And THEN turning on the jet turbines it would gain velocity and fly.. but I really don't think this is the case, because then the conveyor belt would just spin even faster to make up for the velocity the jet turbines would put into the plane...

can we get some second opinions??

FredGarvin
Science Advisor
I can't believe you were serious with debating this. Someone please lock this thread if that's what it's coming to.

For the umpteen thousandths time, the airplane will take off. Do a search for one of the many threads in which this has already been discussed to death.

Yea, I didn't mean to start a debate as I said in my first post we shouldn't have to debate it on a physics forum. :eek:, it is an interesting problem though. But yea thats not what this thread is about so my applogies to the OP.

PS - If I knew how popular this question was and how many times it has been discussed on the net I would not have started it and simply would have pointed him to one of the discussions. I thought it was an interesting problem and wanted to convince him that it wouldn't matter. I now see that its has been discussed waaaay too much, even on physicsforums.

Last edited:
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It is to bad that this thread could not aviod the disscusion which the shirt represents.

So I guess the final words in this thread will be

Cool Shirt.

'nuff said.

Locked.