Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Couldn't find em, so I had them made

1. Mar 29, 2007 #1
    I looked everywhere to find a certain Tshirt and no where are they made so..
    I went to a local shop. The poor guy had NO idea what it meant.
    History
    My son's High School scolastic team was holding an NAQT tourney at his school and since the kids were working so hard I figured that something special was needed
    so...
    [​IMG]

Sad thing is some of the teacher/coaches had no idea what it meant.

(edit) sorry bout the size, I'm at work and don't have any graphics programs.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, I guess you have to have seen that problem asked again and again and again to appreciate the humor. You'll be able to spot the physicists as you walk around with that shirt on -- they're the ones who spit out their coffee and start gagging as they laugh out loud. :tongue2:

4. Mar 29, 2007 #3

russ_watters

Wow, what a painful thing to put on a shirt.

5. Mar 29, 2007 #4
    I am one of those people that has no clue what that means. Anyone care to explain?

6. Mar 29, 2007 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It looks like the Boeing line to me.

7. Mar 29, 2007 #6
    hahaha. If I understand the shirt correctly, the problem Ive heard over and over again that would apply to this senarior is:
    "What happens to a plane when it is put on a conveyor belt?"
    ie. does it lift off? Or just run its wheels along the belt?

:D

8. Mar 29, 2007 #7
    it lifts off.

9. Mar 29, 2007 #8

Danger

Gold Member

:rofl:
    Excellent design! You'll be the instigators of lots of fights. :biggrin:

10. Mar 29, 2007 #9
    I doesn't lift off... LETS HAVE A DISCUSSION :D

no airflow around the wings so it doesn't lift off... only thing moving is the belt and the wheels

11. Mar 29, 2007 #10
    Light_Bulb said that it would lift off

12. Mar 29, 2007 #11
  13. Mar 29, 2007 #12

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Damn that's funny.

14. Mar 29, 2007 #13

I could be ignorant, but I don't think so!

How could an airplane regularly take off, then? The propeller! Whether or not the wheel is spinning on the treadmill is irrelevant! I don't think there is a need for a discussion on this on a physics forum, is there? lol

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  15. Mar 29, 2007 #14
    Agreed. No lift = No flying

Besides... if you look at it relative to a person on the ground... that would look pretty funny to see a plane start to take off from not moving :tongue2:

16. Mar 29, 2007 #15
    Its a free spinning wheel?? Cmon guys. :rofl:

17. Mar 29, 2007 #16
    dontdisturbmycircles:

I don't know what you're talking about..

That plane would not take off, end of discussion..

18. Mar 29, 2007 #17

berkeman

Think in terms of thrust, and about how an ice plane or sea plane can take off.... :blushing:

19. Mar 29, 2007 #18
  20. Mar 29, 2007 #19
    The thing is maxwell, the plane doesn't really move backwards (at least not near as fast as it is being accelerated forwards by the propeller). If you were to design a shopping cart with really good almost frictionless (like in the airplane scenario) wheels and then put it on a conveyer belt, it wouldn't go down the conveyer belt at the same speed as the conveyer belt unless the wheels were stuck.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  21. Mar 29, 2007 #20
    Why the hell are you telling me this? I said the plane wouldn't move...! the wheels of the plane is going forward and the conveyor belt backwards ergo the plane doesn't move.. No velocity, no wind, and no wind no pressure on the wings.. no flying..

really don't know why you are telling me this, omg..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?