Couldn't understand the proof for Method of variation of parameters

In summary, the method of variation of parameters involves assuming a first equation and using it to plug into the original differential equation, resulting in a second equation. This assumption can also be derived from converting a second order ODE into a first order system of ODE for two unknown functions. The terms that may appear to be missing in the second equation actually cancel out due to the fact that the two unknown functions satisfy the homogeneous equation. This technique is useful for solving second order ODEs with non-constant coefficients.
iVenky
Here's the proof that I read for method of variation of parameters-

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52267&stc=1&d=1351081780

What I couldn't understand is that how could one simply assume that

u'1y1+u2'y2=0 and
u'1y'1+u2'y'2=g(x)

I just don't understand from where you get those above two results.
I would be really happy if could clear my doubt.

Thanks a lot for physics forum and its members. You have helped me a lot :)

Attachments

• physicsforum.jpg
    physicsforum.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 838
Physics news on Phys.org
In a nutshell, you assume that the first equation is true. That assumption is part of the technique. Once you assume that the first equation is true, you plug u1y1+u2y2 into your original differential equation and you end up with the second equation.

Think of it this way, you have two unknowns (u1, and u2). But your original differential equation is only one equation. So we just set u1'y1+u2'y2=0 so that we have two equations for two unknowns.

With that said, a second order ODE can be converted into a first order system of ODE for two unknown functions. If you do variation of parameters on THAT system, then you get the same two equations without having to make up one of them out of thin air. So in that sense, the first equation is not really just an arbitrary choice that makes it easy to solve for u1 and u2. It can be derived from something that comes from a later topic in your course.

Vargo said:
In a nutshell, you assume that the first equation is true. That assumption is part of the technique. Once you assume that the first equation is true, you plug u1y1+u2y2 into your original differential equation and you end up with the second equation.

I did what you said. I assumed the first one and tried to plug that into the first equation which is

y''+p(x)y'+q(x)y=g(x)

but I couldn't get the second equation.

Here's my derivation-

y=u1y1+u2y2
y'=u1y'1+u2y'2

as we have assumed that u'1y1+u'2y2=0

y''=u'1y'1+u'2y'2+u1y''1+u2y''2

and if we plug in these expressions for y,y',y'' in the equation

y''+p(x)y'+q(x)y=g(x)

I don't get the second equation. I mean there are many terms apart from
u'1y'1+u'2y'2

and how did you neglect them?

Thanks a lot :)

Those terms cancel each other out. You have to use the fact that y1 and y2 each satisfy the homogeneous equation.
y1''+py1'+qy1=0, and the same for y2.

Vargo said:
Those terms cancel each other out. You have to use the fact that y1 and y2 each satisfy the homogeneous equation.
y1''+py1'+qy1=0, and the same for y2.

Got it.

1. What is the Method of Variation of Parameters?

The Method of Variation of Parameters is a technique used in differential equations to find a particular solution to a non-homogeneous equation. It involves assuming a solution in the form of a linear combination of the homogeneous solutions and then solving for the coefficients using the variation of parameters formula.

2. Why is the Method of Variation of Parameters used?

The Method of Variation of Parameters is used because it provides a systematic and general approach to solving non-homogeneous differential equations. It is especially useful when the non-homogeneous term is in the form of a polynomial, exponential, or trigonometric function.

3. How is the Method of Variation of Parameters different from other methods of solving differential equations?

The Method of Variation of Parameters is different from other methods, such as the method of undetermined coefficients, because it involves assuming a solution rather than guessing it. This allows for a more general and systematic approach to finding a particular solution.

4. What is the variation of parameters formula?

The variation of parameters formula is a formula used to find the coefficients of the assumed solution in the Method of Variation of Parameters. It is given by: yp = u1y1 + u2y2, where u1 and u2 are functions of the independent variable that are determined by solving a system of equations.

5. How can I understand the proof for the Method of Variation of Parameters?

The proof for the Method of Variation of Parameters involves using the Wronskian and integrating factors to find the coefficients of the assumed solution. It may be helpful to review these concepts and work through an example problem to better understand the proof. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or professor can also aid in understanding the proof.