Solution to a DE using variation of parameters

In summary, the method of variation of parameters is used to find the particular solution to a differential equation by using a definite integral. The integral is a function of t because of the upper limit and when differentiated with respect to t, the integrand is obtained. The dummy variable "s" in the integral does not affect the final solution as it is substituted with the upper and lower limits. The "v" functions are written in terms of "s" to obtain the correct form but it is not necessary to do so.
Xyius
I was looking through my DE book and a problem intrigued me. I eventually figured it out but I do not understand the logic. I was wondering if anyone here could help me out.

The question says:
Use the method of variation of parameters to show that..

[tex]y(t)=c_{1}cos(t)+c_{2}sin(t)+\int^{t}_{0}sin(t-s)ds[/tex]

.. is the general solution to the equation..

[tex]y''+y'=f(t)[/tex]

Where f(t) is a continuous function on the real number line. (HINT: Use the trigonometric identity [tex]sin(t-s)=sin(t)cos(s)-sin(s)cos(t)[/tex].

The way I solved it was to first find the homogeneous solution and then use variation of parameters to obtain..

[tex]y_{p}(t)=v_{1}cos(t)+v_{2}sin(t)[/tex]

The odd part that I do not understand, is I had to make both "v" functions in terms of "s" to obtain the correct form of the solution.

The whole concept of using a definite integral in a differential equation is foreign to me and I do not understand it.

If anyone can help me understand this with a solid logic behind the solution it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Xyius said:
I was looking through my DE book and a problem intrigued me. I eventually figured it out but I do not understand the logic. I was wondering if anyone here could help me out.

The question says:
Use the method of variation of parameters to show that..

[tex]y(t)=c_{1}cos(t)+c_{2}sin(t)+\int^{t}_{0}sin(t-s)ds[/tex]

.. is the general solution to the equation..

Surely you have left the function f out of that answer. Probably an f(s) in the integrand.

[tex]y''+y'=f(t)[/tex]

And also that is supposed to be y'' + y = f(t)

Where f(t) is a continuous function on the real number line. (HINT: Use the trigonometric identity [tex]sin(t-s)=sin(t)cos(s)-sin(s)cos(t)[/tex].

The way I solved it was to first find the homogeneous solution and then use variation of parameters to obtain..

[tex]y_{p}(t)=v_{1}cos(t)+v_{2}sin(t)[/tex]

The odd part that I do not understand, is I had to make both "v" functions in terms of "s" to obtain the correct form of the solution.

The whole concept of using a definite integral in a differential equation is foreign to me and I do not understand it.

If anyone can help me understand this with a solid logic behind the solution it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

You didn't show your work but I'm guessing you got these two equations:

[tex]v_1' = -f(t)\sin(t)[/tex]

[tex]v_2' = f(t)\cos(t)[/tex]

and you are confused by writing

[tex]v_1(t) = \int_0^t -f(s)\sin(s)\, ds[/tex]

[tex]v_2(t) = \int_0^t f(s)\cos(s)\, ds[/tex]

What you need to notice is that the variable s under the integral is a dummy variable. It doesn't matter what letter you use there because when you take the antiderivative you are going to substitute the upper and lower limits in for s anyway. These integrals are functions of t because of the upper limit. And by the fundamental theorem of calculus, if you differentiate either of them with respect to t, you just get the integrand with t substituted in for the s, so they are correct antiderivatives.

When you put them in your yp you get the required formula.

Wow I apologize for all the mistakes! It was 2 am! Ha!

Thank you very much you have helped a lot but I still do not understand the point of introducing the variable "s". If it is incorrect to write the "v" functions in terms of "s" then when I plug everything in I do not have any s's in the final solution.

Also I do not understand one other thing you said. Why will I obtain the integrand if I differentiate the integral with respect to t? The differential is ds. I DO understand what you said that the integral is actually a a function of t because of the limits. Somehow things aren't adding up for me. :\

Xyius said:
Wow I apologize for all the mistakes! It was 2 am! Ha!

Thank you very much you have helped a lot but I still do not understand the point of introducing the variable "s". If it is incorrect to write the "v" functions in terms of "s" then when I plug everything in I do not have any s's in the final solution.

Also I do not understand one other thing you said. Why will I obtain the integrand if I differentiate the integral with respect to t? The differential is ds. I DO understand what you said that the integral is actually a a function of t because of the limits. Somehow things aren't adding up for me. :\

It doesn't matter what letter you use for the integration variable. You could even use t but that is a bad idea because it causes confusion between it and the upper limit.

Look at this example. Say you have a function f(t) and you have taken its antiderivative and let's call it F(t), so F'(t) = f(t). Now, if you were doing a definite integral you would write

[tex]F(b) - F(a) = \int_a^b f(t)\, dt[/tex]

And you get the same thing using s for the dummy variable:

[tex]F(b) - F(a) = \int_a^b f(s)\, ds[/tex]

Now let's let b = t and a = 0 and we can write

[tex]F(t) = F(0) + \int_0^t f(s)\, ds[/tex]

Now look what happens if you differentiate both sides with respect to t. We know F'(t) = f(t) from above. F(0) is a constant which goes away. So you have the derivative of the integral as a function of its upper limit on the right:

[tex]F'(t) = f(t) = \frac d {dt}\int_0^t f(s)\, ds[/tex]

That's why you get f(t) when you differentiate the integral as a function of its upper limit.

Ohh okay! Makes perfect sense!

Lemme just make sure I really nail this down. Does that mean I can write the integral

[tex]F(x) = \int f(x)cos(x)dx[/tex]

as

[tex]\int ^{x}_{\frac{\pi}{2}}f(s)cos(s)ds[/tex]

because

[tex]\int ^{x}_{\frac{\pi}{2}}f(s)cos(s)ds = F(x)-F(\frac{\pi}{2})[/tex]

and

[tex]F(\frac{\pi}{2}) = \int f(\frac{\pi}{2})cos(\frac{\pi}{2})dx = 0[/tex]

Xyius said:
Ohh okay! Makes perfect sense!

Lemme just make sure I really nail this down. Does that mean I can write the integral

[tex]F(x) = \int f(x)cos(x)dx[/tex]

as

[tex]\int ^{x}_{\frac{\pi}{2}}f(s)cos(s)ds[/tex]

because

[tex]\int ^{x}_{\frac{\pi}{2}}f(s)cos(s)ds = F(x)-F(\frac{\pi}{2})[/tex]

and

[tex]F(\frac{\pi}{2}) = \int f(\frac{\pi}{2})cos(\frac{\pi}{2})dx = 0[/tex]

No, its best not to mix up indefinite integrals with definite ones. When you write

[tex]F(t) - F(a) = \int_a^t f(s)\, ds[/tex]

[tex]F(t) = \int_a^t f(s)\, ds + F(a)[/tex]

the F(a) is like the constant of integration in an indefinite integral. If you change a to a different value c, the two expressions for F(t) will differ by a constant. In your original problem, you were looking for a particular solution so it didn't matter what the lower limit was. 0 was just a convenient choice.

Cool! Thank you very much I understand completely now :D

1. How does variation of parameters differ from other methods of solving differential equations?

Variation of parameters is a method used specifically for solving non-homogeneous linear differential equations. Unlike other methods, such as separation of variables or integrating factors, variation of parameters does not require the differential equation to be in a specific form.

2. What is the general process for solving a differential equation using variation of parameters?

The general process for solving a differential equation using variation of parameters involves finding the complementary solution, also known as the homogeneous solution, and then using it to find the particular solution by determining the variation of parameters.

3. Can variation of parameters be used to solve all types of differential equations?

No, variation of parameters can only be used to solve non-homogeneous linear differential equations. It cannot be applied to other types of differential equations, such as non-linear or partial differential equations.

4. How do you determine the variation of parameters for a given differential equation?

To determine the variation of parameters, the method involves finding the Wronskian of the homogeneous solutions and using it to calculate the coefficients of the particular solution.

5. Are there any limitations to using variation of parameters to solve differential equations?

One limitation of using variation of parameters is that it can become computationally intensive and complex for higher order differential equations. Additionally, it may not always be possible to find the Wronskian, making it difficult to calculate the coefficients for the particular solution.