1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Coulomb's Law/Electric field questions

1. Jan 20, 2010 #1
    I am not sure how to approach any of these.

1- A 4.7-µC point charge is located at x = 0.9 m, y = 3.1 m, and a -3.9-µC point charge is located at x = 2.1 m, y = -1.9 m.
    (a) Find the magnitude and direction of the electric field at x = -2.7 m, y = 0.9 m. magnitude:
    direction: °

(b) Find the magnitude and direction of the force on a proton at x = -2.7 m, y = 0.9 m. magnitude:
    direction: °

2- An electron is released from rest in a weak electric field given by = -3.00 10-10 N/C . After the electron has traveled a vertical distance of 1.9 µm, what is its speed? (Do not neglect the gravitational force on the electron.)

3- A fixed point charge of +2q is connected by strings to point charges of +q and +4q. Find the tensions T1 and T2. (Use q, d and k as necessary.)
    T1 =
    T2 =

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi krtica! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help!

Start with 1(a). :smile:

4. Jan 20, 2010 #3

In regards to question 1, I plotted each point on a x-y coordinate system. The three points form a right triangle. The opposite and adjacent lengths I took for each separate electric field. To find the magnitude of both, I used the Pythagoreum Theorem.

Concerning the other questions, I am not really even sure where to begin.

5. Jan 20, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ok, well, if it didn't give the right result, show us your calculations, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook