Countable union of countable sets, proof without AC?

In summary, the proof for the fact that a countable union of countable sets is countable involves using the definition and a property of cardinality, as well as properties of natural numbers (primarily primes). However, the use of countable choice is required in selecting a bijection for each natural number in the countable family of countable sets.
tauon
Pretty much every proof of this I've seen uses the axiom of countable choice at some part or another, and I never got why, since it's pretty cumbersome. Here's the sketch of a proof I wrote for the "fact" that a countable union of countable sets is countable:

[tex]Let \ P:=\{\pi\in\mathbb{N}|\ \pi \ is \ prime\},\ \mathcal{E}:=\{{\pi}^n|\ \pi\in P,\ n\in{\mathbb{N}}^*\}\subset\mathbb{N},\ p:\mathbb{N}\rightarrow P \ a \ bijective \ function, \ p(i)=p_i\in P,\\
and\ let\ \mathcal{F}\ be \ a\ countable\ family\ of\ countable\ sets.\\

Since \ \mathcal{F}\ is \ countable,\ there\ is\ a\ bijective\ function\ f:P\rightarrow\mathcal{F},\ f(\pi):=S_{\pi}\in\mathcal{F},\ and \ since \ every \ set \ in \ \mathcal{F} \ is \ countable \\
for \ any \ f(p_i):=S_{p_i}\in\mathcal{F}\ there \ is \ a \ bijective \ function \
\alpha_i:{p_i}^{\mathbb{N}}\rightarrow S_{p_i},\ where \ {p_i}^{\mathbb{N}}:=\{{p_i}^n|\ n\in{\mathbb{N}}^*\}\ and \ \alpha_i ({p_i}^k)=s_{{p_i}^k}\in S_{p_i} .\\
Then\\
\bigcup_{S\in\mathcal{F}}S = \bigcup_{\pi\in P}S_{\pi}=\bigcup_{i\in\mathbb{N}}S_{p_i}=\bigcup_{i\in\mathbb{N}}\bigcup_{k\in{\mathbb{N}}^*}\{s_{{p_i}^k}\}=\bigcup_{\epsilon\in\mathcal{E}}\{s_{ \epsilon }\}\ (q.e.d.)[/tex]

As I see it, I'm only using the definition and one property of cardinality, and a few properties of natural numbers (primes in particular), none of which (at least to my knowledge) require the use of the axiom of choice. But I'm no expert... Does this proof (implicitly) use some version of the axiom of choice? If so, where?

Physics news on Phys.org
tauon said:
[tex]since \ every \ set \ in \ \mathcal{F} \ is \ countable \\
for \ any \ f(p_i):=S_{p_i}\in\mathcal{F}\ there \ is \ a \ bijective \ function \
\alpha_i:{p_i}^{\mathbb{N}}\rightarrow S_{p_i},\ where \ {p_i}^{\mathbb{N}}:=\{{p_i}^n|\ n\in{\mathbb{N}}^*\}\dots[/tex]
For each ##i##, there are infinitely many such bijections from ##{p_i}^{\mathbb{N}}## to ##S_{p_i}##, and the theorem, in its general formulation, does not tell which one of them to choose and call ##\alpha_i##. We need countable choice to select one such bijection for each ##i##.

1. What is a countable union of countable sets?

A countable union of countable sets is a mathematical concept that refers to the combination of multiple sets, each with a countably infinite number of elements. In other words, it is the union of an infinite number of infinite sets.

2. How is the countable union of countable sets proved without using the Axiom of Choice (AC)?

The proof for the countable union of countable sets without using AC is based on the Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory, which does not rely on the Axiom of Choice. It involves constructing a bijection between the union of the sets and the Cartesian product of the natural numbers.

3. Why is it important to prove the countable union of countable sets without AC?

Proving the countable union of countable sets without AC is important because the Axiom of Choice is a controversial mathematical principle and its use can lead to counterintuitive results. By proving this concept without AC, we can avoid these potential issues and have a more solid foundation for mathematical arguments.

4. Can the countable union of countable sets be extended to uncountable sets?

No, the countable union of countable sets only applies to countable sets. It cannot be extended to uncountable sets because the proof relies on using a bijection with the natural numbers, which cannot be applied to uncountable sets.

5. What are some real-world applications of the countable union of countable sets?

The countable union of countable sets has various applications in computer science, such as in the study of algorithms and data structures. It is also used in probability theory and statistics to model infinite sequences and to understand the convergence of infinite series.