1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Counting problem -- Lining up colored marbles...

1. Mar 25, 2016 #1

Math_QED

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have 3 yellow and 7 blue marbles. I put those randomly in a line. What is the probability that no yellow marbles are next to each other?

2. Relevant equations
    /

3. The attempt at a solution

Total amount of opportunities to put those marbles next to each other: 120
    Total amount of opportunities to put 3 marbles next to each other: 8
    Total amount of opportunities to put 2 marbles next to each other:

(9 nCr 1)*(8 nCr 1) = 72
    72 - (8 nCr 1) = 64

1 - (64+8)/120 = 2/5

Can someone verify whether I'm correct? Or at least tell me where I am wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2016 #2
    I agree that the total number of color patterns is 120 = 10!/(7!*3!).
    When I calculate the number of arrangements for no double yellow, I did it with two scenarios:
    1) Turn all three yellow marbles into yellow-blue pairs. That leaves three pairs and four extra blue.
    2) Take one yellow and put it at the end. Then pair the remaining 2 yellows into 2 yellow-blue pairs. That leaves 5 extra blues.
    The total of those two numbers gives you the total number of arrangements that keep the yellows separated.

I did not get your answer.

4. Mar 25, 2016 #3

Math_QED

Homework Helper

Did you get 56/120? I seem to have made a mistake.

5. Mar 25, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Small refinement to your method: create one extra blue as well as coupling a blue with each yellow. In the blue-yellow pairs, have the blue on the right always. So there will always be a blue at the right end of the line, which you throw away to get back to 7. So the answer is the number of ways f choosing 3 YB pairs from 3+(7-3+1) things.

6. Mar 25, 2016 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Why 9 and 8? What does the second line do?

7. Mar 25, 2016 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your 56/120 is correct. Here is how I looked at the problem: line up the 7 blues, with spaces between them. You have 8 spaces altogether (one to the left of all the blues, 6 between the blues, and one to the right of all the blues). Now you want to put three yellows into those 8 spaces, with either 0 or 1 per space. The number of ways of doing that is the number of ways to pick 3 spaces from 8, which is C(8,3) = 56. The number of ways of arranging the 10 marbles (with no restrictions) is the number of ways of choosing the 3 positions in which the yellows will go, so is C(10,3) = 120. Therefore, the probability you want is 56/120 = 7/15.

8. Mar 25, 2016 #7

Math_QED

Homework Helper

Wow. Nice method. I greatly appreciate your effort and clear explanation.

9. Mar 25, 2016 #8
    yes

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted