Couple of questions about sets

• Thread starter setvectorgroup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Couple Sets
In summary: the set {1,2,3}{2} ∈ {{1}, {2}} is false because the object- number 2- can't be found in the set {{1}, {2}} in the same form it's on the left side of ∈
setvectorgroup

Homework Statement

I am confused with sets- just wanted some clarification.

Say, I have a set A={b, {1,a},{3}, {{1,3}}, 3}

What are the elements of set A?

What are the subsets of set A?

Are the subsets also the elements of the set A?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the elements of the set A are all the objects within it like b, {1,a},{3}, {{1,3}}, 3. Is that right?

The subsets of the set A are the elements(?) {1,a},{3}, {{1,3}}? Here's my confusion: I've seen a textbook show the element(?) {1,a} is a subset of set A like {{1,a}}⊂ A, rather than {1,a} ⊂ A. If that's the right notation, what's the difference between two different ways of parenthesizing?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi setvectorgroup! welcome to pf! :smile:
setvectorgroup said:
I think the elements of the set A are all the objects within it like b, {1,a},{3}, {{1,3}}, 3. Is that right?

no, for the reason you've referred to …
I've seen a textbook show the element(?) {1,a} is a subset of set A like {{1,a}}⊂ A, rather than {1,a} ⊂ A. If that's the right notation, what's the difference between two different ways of parenthesizing?

a subset is a set, so it must start and end with {}

inside the {}, you put all the elements of the subset

eg if you look carefully, you'll see that the two-element subset {b,3} is a subset of A

So is {b} so is {3} so is {3, {3}}, and so on … :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi setvectorgroup! welcome to pf! :smile:no, for the reason you've referred to …a subset is a set, so it must start and end with {}

inside the {}, you put all the elements of the subset

eg if you look carefully, you'll see that the two-element subset {b,3} is a subset of A

So is {b} so is {3} so is {3, {3}}, and so on … :wink:

Thank You, tiny-tim.

So, if {3, {3}} is a subset...

Say, I make up a set S={1,2,3...}. Can I scoop up any collection of numbers from the set S and call it a subset? For example: T={1, 1000000000, 8} ⊂ S. Would that be right?

edit: Also, if I were to modify the set A={b, {1,a},{3}, {{1,3}}, 3} to make {1,a} ⊂ A true would I modify the set A like A={1, {1,a},{3}, {{1,3}}, a} ?

Last edited:
setvectorgroup said:
Say I make up a set S={1,2,3...}. Can I scoop up any collection of numbers from the set S and call it a subset? For example: T={1, 1000000000, 8} ⊂ S. Would that be right?

yes, exactly :smile:
edit: Also, if I were to modify the set A={b, {1,a},{3}, {{1,3}}, 3} to make {1,a} ⊂ A true would I modify the set A like A={1, {1,a},{3}, {{1,3}}, a} ?

yes, for {1,a} ⊂ A to be true, both 1 and a must be elements of A

({1,a} ⊂ A is the same as saying that 1 ε A and a ε A)

That was very helpful, tiny-tim.

I appreciate your help.

:cool:

$$\{1,a\} \in A$$
The set {1,a} is a member (element) of A, and

$$\{\{1,a\}\} \subset A $$
The set containing only the set {1,a} is a subset of A

$$\{\{1,a\}\} \subset A $$
The set containing only the set {1,a} is a subset of A

Thanks, Joffan, for the additional insight.

What I wrote below might sound redundant, but I am trying to internalize all this set business:

Is the notation above just a statement that two random sets happen to share the same elements while the set A also contains more of other elements which makes the lefthand side of this relation to be the subset?

Thanks.

edit:

Am I right( at least conceptually) to visualize all this like :

{1,a} ∈ A

also

{1,a} ∈ {{1,a}}

while ( if you count the elements of each set)

{{1,a}} < A

which is

{{1,a}} ⊂ A

?

Last edited:
A subset of A doesn't have to have fewer elements than A. The set A is a subset of itself.

What's called a proper subset of A does have to contain fewer elements than A.

vela said:
A subset of A doesn't have to have fewer elements than A. The set A is a subset of itself.

What's called a proper subset of A does have to contain fewer elements than A.

Thank You, vela.

Here's yet another attempt to differentiate between 'element of' and 'subset of' (also, by subset I'll mean proper subset) :smile:

Say, I got the following relations below and asked to see which ones are true, which ones- false:

2 ∈ {1,2,3}

{2} ∈ {1,2,3}

{2} ∈ {{1}, {2}}

Anything to the left of ∈ is an object. All I care about is if that object can be found in the set on the right side of ∈ in exactly the same form it's on the left side i. e.

2 ∈ {1,2,3} is true because the object- number 2- can be found in the set {1,2,3}

{2} ∈ {1,2,3} is false because there's no object- a set containing number 2- in the set {1,2,3}

{2} ∈ {{1}, {2}} is true because an object- a set containing number 2- is also in {{1}, {2}}

Also, say, I have these below and need to know if any of them are true:

2 ⊆ {1,2,3}

{2} ⊆ {1,2,3}

{2} ⊆ {{1}}, {2}}

The statements above, sort of, implicitly imply (to me) comparison between sets. Here we are concerned if all the elements in the subset are also in the superset i. e.

2 ⊆ {1,2,3} is false because the number two is not even a set to begin with.

{2} ⊆ {1,2,3} is true because the number 2 in the set {2} also happens in the set {1,2,3}

{2} ⊆ {{1}}, {2}} is false because the set {{1}}, {2}} does not contain the number 2

Am I looking at this right?

I am just paranoid something might slip by me unnoticed hence this (redundant) dissection.

You've got it :)

ArcanaNoir said:
You've got it :)

Well, I guess this does it.

Thank You, ArcanaNoir, for (hopefully) closing this thread.

1. What is a set?

A set is a collection of distinct objects or elements, where order and repetition do not matter.

2. How do you represent a set?

A set can be represented using curly braces { } and listing the elements inside, separated by commas. For example, a set of even numbers can be represented as {2, 4, 6, 8, ...}.

3. What is the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set is the number of elements it contains. This is denoted by the symbol |A|, where A is the set. For example, if A = {1, 2, 3}, then |A| = 3.

4. What is the difference between a finite and infinite set?

A finite set is a set that has a limited number of elements, while an infinite set has an unlimited number of elements. For example, the set of natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...) is an infinite set, while the set of all letters in the alphabet is a finite set.

5. How do you determine if an element belongs to a set?

To determine if an element belongs to a set, we can use the membership symbol (∈). For example, if x is an element of set A, we write x ∈ A. If x is not an element of A, we write x ∉ A.