Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coupled 2nd order diff eq's (Bessel functions?)

1. Feb 27, 2014 #1

julian

Gold Member

I have derived these pair of coupled diff equations for [itex]U_1 (r)[/itex] and [itex]U_2 (r)[/itex]:

[itex]r^2 \dfrac{d^2 U_1 (r)}{dr^2} + r \dfrac{d U_1 (r)}{dr} + r^2 U_2(r) = 0[/itex]

and

[itex]r^2 \dfrac{d^2 U_2 (r)}{dr^2} + r \dfrac{d U_2 (r)}{dr} - r^2 U_1(r) = 0[/itex]

Or written in matrix form

[itex](r^2 \dfrac{d^2}{dr^2} + r \dfrac{d}{dr}) \begin{pmatrix} U_1(r) \\ U_2(r) \end{pmatrix} + r^2 \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ -1 & 0 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} U_1(r) \\ U_2(r) \end{pmatrix} = 0[/itex]

I've tried a couple of things to try to solve them but didn't work. Any tips appreciated! Probably going to involve zeroth-order Bessel / modified Bessel functions? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

If you set [itex]z = U_1 + iU_2[/itex] then you get
    [tex]
    r^2 z'' + rz' - ir^2z = 0
    [/tex]
    and if you then set [itex]s = e^{i\pi/4} r[/itex] you obtain
    [tex]
    s^2 z'' + sz' - s^2z = 0
    [/tex]
    whose solutions are the modified bessel functions [itex]I_0(s)[/itex] and [itex]K_0(s)[/itex].

4. Feb 27, 2014 #3

julian

Gold Member

Thanks, the general solution of [tex]r^2 z'' + rz' - ir^2z = 0[/tex] is

[itex]z (r) = C I_0 (\sqrt{i}r) + D K_0 (\sqrt{i}r)[/itex]

Noting [itex]I_0 (x) = J_0 (ix)[/itex] we have [itex]I_0 (\sqrt{i}r) = J_0 (i^{3/2}r)[/itex] and so the general solution is

[itex]z (r) = C J_0 (i^{3/2}r) + D K_0 (\sqrt{i}r)[/itex].

The real and imaginary parts of [itex]J_0 (i^{3/2}r)[/itex] and [itex]K_0 (\sqrt{i}r)[/itex] are the Kelvin functions apparently. Just need to learn a bit about them and apply my boundary conditions....thanks for your help.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook