Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Second Order Differential equation Bessel-type

1. Sep 14, 2016 #1
    Hello!

Im trying to solve this second order differential equation:

\begin{equation*}
    -\dfrac{d^2y}{dx^2}+\dfrac{3}{x}\dfrac{dy}{dx}+(x^2+gx^4+2)y=0
    \end{equation*}

Any idea?

Maybe it could be converted to a Bessel-like equation (?) with an appropriate change of variables.

The equation arises when your are considering a -2 dimensional (yes!, its correct: "Negative dimension") anhamonic oscillator.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2016 #2

Ssnow

Gold Member

Hi, there is a proposition that says, if you have an equation of this kind:

## y''+P(x)y'+Q(x)y=0##
    where ##P## and ##Q## continuous on ##I## and if ##\lambda(x)## is a particular solution with ##\lambda(x)\not=0##, then the general solution is:

##y(x)=\lambda(x)\left(c_{1}+c_{2}\int\frac{e^{-\int P(x)dx}}{\lambda(x)^2}dx\right)##

where ##c_{1},c_{2}## are constants.

So you can start to search a particular solution and then apply this...

4. Sep 16, 2016 #3
    I not sure how helpful this will be, but I think you're equation is a general confluent hypergeometric differential equation: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GeneralConfluentHypergeometricDifferentialEquation.html.

The general solutions are:

[itex] y_1 = x^{-A} e^{-m\left(x\right)} F\left(a;b; h\left(x\right)\right) [/itex]
    [itex] y_2 = x^{-A} e^{-m\left(x\right)} U\left(a;b; h\left(x\right)\right) [/itex]

where [itex] F\left(a;b;h\left(x\right)\right) [/itex] and [itex] U\left(a;b;h\left(x\right)\right) [/itex] are confluent hypergeometric functions of the first and second kind.
    Admittedly it can be challenging to identify the functions [itex] m\left(x\right) [/itex] and [itex] h\left(x\right) [/itex] . I'd try a few simple functions to see if you can make it work.

Alternatively what is the constant g? Is it a small number? Can you use a perturbative expansion to find an approximate solution?

5. Sep 18, 2016 #4
    Variation of parameters! I'll give it a try!

Thanks

6. Sep 18, 2016 #5
    Thanks I will try with this "factorization" procedure.

7. Oct 21, 2016 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted