1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Course-load for next semester (E&M + Mechanics)

1. Oct 30, 2011 #1
    Next semester I will be taking the following courses

- Elementary Differential Equations
    Methods for the solution of elementary types of ordinary differential equations with geometrical, physical and chemical applications.

- General Chemistry I (with lab)
    Fundamental principles of chemistry including states of matter, modern atomic and bonding theory, mass and energy relationships in chemical reactions, equilibria, reaction rates and electrochemistry. Properties of the elements and their compounds are discussed in terms of structure.

- Mechanics
    Motion of a particle in one, two and three dimensions, motion of a system of particles, rigid bodies, gravitation, moving coordinate systems, wave propagation along a string, Lagrange’s equations. Hamilton’s equations.
    Prereq: Calc 3; coreq: Differential Equations

AND

- E&M
    Fundamentals of electromagnetic theory. Vector analysis, Maxwell’s equations, electrostatics, magnetostatics, electromagnetic waves.
    Prereq: Calc 3; coreq: Differential Equations

OR

- Engineering Mathematics I
    Systems of linear equations, row operations, Gauss Jordan reduction, matrix algebra, inversion, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, Vector Calculus, Green’s Theorem, Stoke’s Theorem, Fourier Series, the solution of the heat and wave equations by Fourier Series, Bessel functions and applications.
    Prereq: Calc 3

I am wondering if it is advisable to take Mechanics and E&M concurrently, as these are not intro level courses. I already took General Physics I and II, and Calc I, II, and III. I am currently a freshmen in my first semester. Or should I swap out E&M for Engineering Mathematics?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2011 #2
    Do whatever you prefer. I don't think it is an unreasonable course load. To graduate on time, most programs (where I am located) require a minimum of 5 courses per term. For engineering it is 6-7.

4. Oct 31, 2011 #3
    General Physics I is Mechanics and General Physics II is E&M, no?

5. Oct 31, 2011 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

These look like the intermediate-level mechanics and E&M courses, not the two semesters of General Physics.

6. Oct 31, 2011 #5
    Correct. They are not General Physics I and II—I have already taken those courses.

7. Oct 31, 2011 #6
    Just take all 5

8. Nov 1, 2011 #7
    Are you a physics or engineering student?

Why would you take engineering maths if you are not an engineering student? Anyway it looks like linear algebra, vector calculus and PDEs, which you should be taking anyway for your physics degree.

EM and mechanics at the same time should be fine.

You are still in your first semester so you can always take Engineering Maths later if you need to.

9. Nov 1, 2011 #8
    I'm a Physics major. That Engineering Math class is required for Physics major.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook