1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First semester course load advice

1. Jul 26, 2014 #1
    What's up PF! I'm about to enter my first semester of college, and I've come to ask for some advice in course load. So here are what I am taking this coming fall:
    PHY 151: Physics II
    MAT 272: Calculus III
    MAT 275: Modern Differential Equations
    CSE 110: Intro to Programming with Java
    PHI 101: Intro to Philosophy

It's 5 classes total which is fairly usual, but the credit hours add up to 18 because there's a 1-credit hour seminar class and calc III and physics II are 4 credit hours each.

For the DE class, I actually dropped it 3 weeks into the course, so I have prior knowledge to many of its materials. CSE 110 and PHI 101, I heard, were very easy classes, so hopefully I won't have to invest too much time on them. This leaves me with physics 2 and calc 3 to study very hard for, and I've self studied E/M a lot, so again hopefully I can do well in it. Calc 3 I heard was very hard, so it will likely be my most difficult class this semester.

I won't work during this semester, but I wish to grasp a position in research. Do you think this is too much for my first semester?

Thank you in advance :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2014 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Doing Calculus 3 and Diffy Q's at the same time is bit strange. Calculus 3 isn't very hard, if you didn't struggle with any calculus before it. I would personally drop the differential equations course.

4. Jul 28, 2014 #3
    Seems fine. I did DE before Calc 3 and found calc 3 really easy (like the easiest of the 3). Physics 2 (assuming calculus based) can be somewhat hard. The java and philosophy classes shouldn't be too difficult. I think it's pretty do-able. The only problem is since it's your first semester, it takes some time (at least for me) to adjust to the freedom, class load, etc.

5. Jul 28, 2014 #4
    Keep in mind, just because a class is easy does not mean you won't have to spend much time on them. Phi 101 will more than likely require you to read quite a bit of material nightly. The essays and the debates may be easy, but they will still be time consuming. Always keep that in mind

6. Jul 29, 2014 #5

verty

Homework Helper

I don't think it's too much. There are good video lectures online for differential equations that will help you make sense of it more quickly. There are very good E&M lectures and you know some of that already. Calc 3 will be the most difficult subject, but I think the others will be sufficiently easy that it shouldn't be a problem for you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook