Covariance of two related sums

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the sum of counts from two different sources, as well as the error in this calculation. The speaker also mentioned the need to determine the covariance of two variables and asked for help in this regard. They then simplified the problem by assuming independence of the variables, but were reminded that this may not always be valid.
Pieter2
I do have a series of channels that contain the number of radioactive counts within a small energy range. Since the occurence of radioactive decay is statistical, the error in the number of counts is simply the square of the number of counts. Each channel contains counts from two different sources, where I can determine the sum of all counts originating from source A (sum_A), which leaves me also an error. What I now like to do is calculating the sum of counts from source B (sum_B), by subtracting the sum of the total counts (sum_total): sum_B = sum_total - sum_A. I can now derive the error in sum_B as follows:

error(sum_B)^2 = error(sum_total)^2 * (d(sum_B) / d(sum_total))^2 + error(sum_A)^2 * (d(sum_B) / d(sum_A))^2 + 2 * cov(sum_A, sum_total) * (d(sum_B) / d(sum_total)) * (d(sum_B) / d(sum_A))

This is simple, if I only knew the covariance of sum_A and sum_total. I have no idea of how to determine this covariance, someone else?

Or in other words: I have a series of numbers x that follow the formula x = p - q. How do I determine cov(sum(p) - sum(q))? Where the summing is done over all i between 0 and n.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have simplified the problem, using the fact that the covariance of a sum equals the sum of the covariances. I now have A = B + C, where the errors in B and C are known. what is cov(B, C)?

Last edited:
Your simplification is not necessarily valid.

The variance of the sum of two or more random variables is equal to the sum of each of their variances only when the random variables are independent. In other words, in "using the fact that the covariance of a sum equals the sum of the covariances", you implicitly assumed that cov(A,B) is identically zero.

If A and B are truly independent random processes (and they are, if I read the setup correctly), the cov(A,B) = 0 and your simplification is valid.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of covariance?

Covariance is a measure of the relationship between two variables. It describes how much and in what direction two variables change together.

2. How is covariance calculated?

Covariance is calculated by taking the product of the deviations of each variable from their respective means, and then taking the average of those products.

3. What does a positive covariance indicate?

A positive covariance indicates that the two variables have a positive relationship, meaning they tend to increase or decrease together.

4. What does a negative covariance indicate?

A negative covariance indicates that the two variables have a negative relationship, meaning they tend to have an inverse relationship where one variable increases while the other decreases.

5. How is covariance interpreted?

Covariance is interpreted as the strength and direction of the relationship between two variables. A higher magnitude of covariance indicates a stronger relationship, while a positive or negative sign indicates the direction of the relationship.