1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Covariant differentiation commutes with contraction?

1. Jun 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've been reading a textbook on tensor analysis for a while. The book uses the conclusion of "covariant differentiation commutes with contraction" directly and I searched around and found most people just use the conclusion without proof.

2. Relevant equations
    For example, [tex]\nabla_{i}T^{jk}_{kl}[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I believe it can be interpreted in two ways. First, form the variant [tex]T^{jk}_{kl}[/tex] with two free indices j, l and apply [tex]\nabla_{i}[/tex] to that tensor; Or, apply [tex]\nabla_{i}[/tex] to the tensor [tex]T^{jk}_{ml}[/tex] and contract m and k. If the two interpretations lead to the same result, it should then be proved.

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2010 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Whenever you contract something, there's a delta tensor involved. Try writing that out explicitly and using the product rule. What do you know about [itex]\nabla^i \delta_k^m[/itex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook