Creating a Cooling System for Xbox 360 - James' Guide

In summary, the individual is looking to create a cooling system for their Xbox 360 by using 4 fans that will automatically turn on when the console reaches above room temperature and turn off when it drops to or below room temperature. They are seeking advice on what components and circuit setup would be needed, but it is suggested to use a fish tank thermometer strip and a switch to control the number of fans used.
Jim2010
I am looking to create a cooling system for my xbox 360, what I intend to do is have 4 fans in a set up underneath the console and once it becomes above room temperature the fans switch on and then once it drops to, or below room temperature the fans turn off.
I understand for this I will need to use a thermistor and some form of automatic swtich, but I was wondering if anybody could share some knowledge as to what exactly I will need and how to set up the circuit?

Thanks,
James

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably wouldn't bother with the thermostat.
The xbox is going to have roughly constant power output so for a given room temperature it will always need the same amount of cooling.
The only difference you might see is needing more fans in summer, less in winter - depending on how the weather changes where you live - and how much heating/AC you have in the house.
I would probably stick a fish tank style thermometer strip in the case and have a switch that let me turn on one/two/all the fans.

Related to Creating a Cooling System for Xbox 360 - James' Guide

1. How does a cooling system for Xbox 360 work?

A cooling system for Xbox 360 works by using fans to circulate air and cool down the internal components. It also has heat sinks attached to the main processor and graphics card to dissipate heat.

2. What materials are needed to create a cooling system for Xbox 360?

The materials needed to create a cooling system for Xbox 360 include a fan, heat sinks, thermal paste, a power source, and tools such as screwdrivers and pliers.

3. Is it difficult to install a cooling system for Xbox 360?

Installing a cooling system for Xbox 360 can be moderately difficult, as it requires opening up the console and making modifications. It is recommended to have some experience with electronics and follow a guide carefully.

4. Will adding a cooling system void the warranty on my Xbox 360?

Yes, adding a cooling system to your Xbox 360 will void the warranty. It is important to consider this before making any modifications to your console.

5. Can a cooling system prevent the Xbox 360 from overheating?

A cooling system can help prevent the Xbox 360 from overheating, but it is not a guaranteed solution. It is important to also keep the console in a well-ventilated area and avoid playing for extended periods of time.