Creating a Fermi-Kurie Plot (Beta decay)

• Thread starter mnemonical
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is looking for tips on how to create a fermi-kurie plot for 11C using data in the form of dN/dE as a function of T_e (energy). They have tried researching online but have not found any helpful information.
mnemonical
New poster has been reminded to always show their work on schoolwork-type problems.
Hello, I need to create a fermi-kurie plot for 11C but my data is in terms of dN/dE as a function of T_e (energy). Any tips on how to get started on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried already and where did it not work?

Last edited:
Likes jim mcnamara
mnemonical said:
Hello, I need to create a fermi-kurie plot for 11C but my data is in terms of dN/dE as a function of T_e (energy). Any tips on how to get started on this?
hey did you figure out a way to do this? i am unable to find any literature on this on the internet :(

1. What is a Fermi-Kurie plot?

A Fermi-Kurie plot is a graphical representation of the energy spectrum of beta decay. It is used to study the shape of the spectrum and extract information about the nuclear structure and properties of the decaying nucleus.

2. How is a Fermi-Kurie plot created?

To create a Fermi-Kurie plot, the number of electrons emitted at different energies during beta decay is measured. This data is then corrected for detector efficiency and other experimental factors, and plotted as a function of the electron energy with a logarithmic scale. The resulting curve is the Fermi-Kurie plot.

3. What is the significance of the shape of a Fermi-Kurie plot?

The shape of a Fermi-Kurie plot can provide information about the nature of the beta decay process. A flat curve indicates a unique energy transition, while a curved or sloping curve suggests the presence of multiple energy transitions or other complex processes.

4. What can be learned from a Fermi-Kurie plot?

A Fermi-Kurie plot can provide information about the nuclear structure, energy levels, and decay rates of the decaying nucleus. It can also help identify the type of beta decay (e.g. beta minus or beta plus) and determine the maximum energy of the emitted electrons.

5. How is a Fermi-Kurie plot used in experimental research?

Fermi-Kurie plots are commonly used in nuclear and particle physics research to study the properties of radioactive nuclei and to test theoretical models of beta decay. They can also be used to measure the strength of the weak interaction, which governs beta decay, and to search for new physics beyond the Standard Model.