Creating a Mini Musical Fountain: Tips and Tricks for Building Your Own

• Thread starter PhysicsLover21
  • Start date
In summary, the person is new to the forum and along with their friends, they are working on a project to build a musical fountain the size of a laptop. They have done some research and found a website for reference, but are seeking guidance and feedback from others. They also mention the possibility of using solenoid valves and stepper motors for the project, and incorporating colored LED lights. They are unsure about how to make the fountain follow music.
PhysicsLover21
Hi ALL!
I am new to this forum,but have been reading the posts from the forum for some time now.Lately,I and my friends have come up with a project of our own.That is to build a musical fountain,size of a laptop.For people who are not sure what it looks like,a real musical fountain looks like:

But we are just building a small one,maybe covered in glass box to prevent the water from flowing out?We did some research,came across this:

https://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/c...s2006/tj39vls25tmd29/tj39vls25tmd29/index.htm

but of course,we don't think is enough..Can anyone,help to guide us?Helps and comments are welcomed,good or bad.We appreciate every single effort and comments made.Thank You all

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
That's way beyond me. I would have just stretched a perforated rubber sheet over a pressurized water tank and acoustically coupled it to a speaker. :redface:

Kidding. Cost permitting, I would use solenoid valves as they show in the video, but a lot more of them. Of more concern would be steering the jet nozzles. I'm thinking that such might require stepper motors. Some coloured LED's shining through the nozzles would be a nice touch.
As to making it follow the music, I have no idea. The kids in the video seem to have a decent handle on that, except for the steering stuff.

Last edited:

Related to Creating a Mini Musical Fountain: Tips and Tricks for Building Your Own

1. How does a mini musical fountain work?

A mini musical fountain works by using a combination of water pumps, nozzles, and lights to create a choreographed water display. The pumps push water through the nozzles at varying pressures to create different patterns, while the lights add color and visual effects. The entire display is controlled by a computer program that coordinates the timing and movements of the water and lights to match the music being played.

2. What is the purpose of a mini musical fountain?

The purpose of a mini musical fountain is to provide entertainment and create a visually appealing display. It can also serve as a decorative element in a public space or private garden.

3. How do you control the music for a mini musical fountain?

The music for a mini musical fountain can be controlled in several ways. Some fountains have a built-in speaker system that can play music directly from a computer or external device. Others may have a remote control that allows you to select and play pre-programmed songs. Some more advanced fountains may even have a live DJ or sound technician controlling the music for a customized experience.

4. Are mini musical fountains difficult to install?

The difficulty of installing a mini musical fountain can vary depending on the size and complexity of the fountain. Some smaller, simpler fountains may be relatively easy to install on your own, while larger and more complex fountains may require the help of a professional. It is important to carefully follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer and to ensure that the fountain is installed safely and securely.

5. Can a mini musical fountain be customized?

Yes, many mini musical fountains can be customized to fit the specific needs and preferences of the owner. This can include choosing the size, shape, and design of the fountain, as well as selecting the type of music, color scheme, and water patterns. Some manufacturers also offer the option to add custom logos or graphics to the fountain for a more personalized touch.