Building a laptop-sized musical fountain with water and sound

  • Thread starter Thread starter PhysicsLover21
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
PhysicsLover21
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi ALL!
I am new to this forum,but have been reading the posts from the forum for some time now.Lately,I and my friends have come up with a project of our own.That is to build a musical fountain,size of a laptop.For people who are not sure what it looks like,a real musical fountain looks like:



But we are just building a small one,maybe covered in glass box to prevent the water from flowing out?We did some research,came across this:

https://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/c...s2006/tj39vls25tmd29/tj39vls25tmd29/index.htm

but of course,we don't think is enough..Can anyone,help to guide us?Helps and comments are welcomed,good or bad.We appreciate every single effort and comments made.Thank You all
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
That's way beyond me. I would have just stretched a perforated rubber sheet over a pressurized water tank and acoustically coupled it to a speaker. :redface:

Kidding. Cost permitting, I would use solenoid valves as they show in the video, but a lot more of them. Of more concern would be steering the jet nozzles. I'm thinking that such might require stepper motors. Some coloured LED's shining through the nozzles would be a nice touch.
As to making it follow the music, I have no idea. The kids in the video seem to have a decent handle on that, except for the steering stuff.
 
Last edited: