1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating custom hydrocarbons from triglycerides

1. Dec 4, 2008 #1
    I'm in a Biofuels program in North Carolina. I will be interning this summer for someone who is doing experimental work on creating custom hydrocarbons from triglycerides. It's actually a bit outside the realm on my program of study. He tells me that I should basic understanding of Thermodynamics. I am looking for suggestions on good books on the subject.

I have taken math courses and am comfortable with calculus and differential equations, and have taken a course in mechanics. So i'm not uncomfortable with physics.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Will I need to study electrodynamics? Any books on hydrocarbon chemistry, or lipid chemistry that I should look into?

Thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2008 #2
    Re: Thermodynamics

introductory thermodynamics,infelta
  4. Dec 9, 2008 #3

Any first year general chemistry text should do if you want the basics.

I just finished my thermo course using Levine "Physical Chemistry". A bit expensive. Its a deep book though, albeit somewhat verbose.
  5. Dec 23, 2008 #4

Science Advisor

Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach

6. Dec 24, 2008 #5

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I suspect you will need to become comfortable with the Gibbs Free energy, and related methods- calorimetry, for example. Donald Haynie's book "Biological Thermodynamics" isn't a bad place to start. For basic chemistry methodology, I recommend books from the "Instant Notes" series (BIOS scientific publishers). I have 'analytical chemistry' and it's very helpful.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?