1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Creating Equation Based on Data Set of x,y Values

1. Nov 15, 2016 #1
    I'm attempting to reclaim lost knowledge... hopefully this works. I would like to take a data set I have x,y values and project the trend beyond the (10) values I currently have. For example, I have a graph with (10) values for x and y, but would like to graph the trend created by values 1-10 to values 11-15.

I recall learning how to derive an equation to represent the data set but how no idea how I used to to it. Need some help on this one. I'm sure there are other ways to do this that I haven't thought of and wouldn't mind suggestions.

PS, I know I could create a simple linear equation by eyeballing the best fitting slope, but would like to be more accurate as the trend is not always linear.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If the trend is not linear and you want to extrapolate beyond the outermost data points, you'll need some other model ("it is linear" is a model as well). There are many possible models, the best one will depend on your data source. A parabola, an exponential function, a square root, a logarithm, some combination of those, ....

4. Nov 15, 2016 #3
    In that case I would say the tendency is for logarithmic and exponential. Could you suggest an example model for logarithmic?

5. Nov 15, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

y=c*log(x)?
    y=c*log(x+d)?
    y=c*log(x+d)+e?

6. Nov 16, 2016 #5

Svein

Science Advisor

As usual, it depends. If the data set is a set of measurements, I would use a form of regression (linear, quadratic, exponential...). If the data is a set of calculated values, you can create a polynomial expression that passes exactly through your data points (but that expression is usually useless in predicting values outside the original data set). I suggest you peruse https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curve_fitting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted