Creating high-contrast optical mask?

• Thread starter papaborat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optical
In summary, The conversation discusses the use of a 3d face scanner project utilizing a camera and DLP projector, and the use of a black/opaque pattern to block transmitted light. The suggestion is made to use a metal vapor-deposited mask for a higher contrast.
papaborat
I hope this is the right forum; if not, I apologize in advance. I'm working on a 3d face scanner project, where I have a camera and a DLP projector very close to each other. This wikipedia entry titled "Structured Light 3D Scanner" explains very well what I'm trying to do.
Basically, I take a picture of the face and within 100ms take another picture but with a projected binary (stripes) pattern (using an optical mask).
The DLP projector has a visible light filter attached, so only near IR light is transmitted.
What I have done is printed a binary black/opaque pattern onto a transparent sheet. However, the black does not completely block the transmitted light.
Hence, I was wondering whether there is a chemical substance with which I can create a high-contrast optical mask (so the black is really black)? Or does anybody know of any commercial products? Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I would suggest a metal vapor-deposited mask. A thick enough metal foil deposited onto a sheet will block all of the light.

Hello,

I would recommend exploring the use of materials such as carbon black or other light-absorbing pigments to create a high-contrast optical mask. These materials have high light absorption properties and can be incorporated into a transparent sheet to create a dark, opaque pattern. Additionally, you may want to consider using multiple layers of the material to increase the contrast and minimize any light leakage. Another option could be using a liquid crystal material that can switch between transparent and opaque states, allowing for precise control over the contrast of the mask.

In terms of commercial products, there are various companies that specialize in optical masks and light control materials for scientific and industrial applications. I would suggest researching and reaching out to these companies to see if they have any products that may meet your specific needs.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

Best,

1. What is a high-contrast optical mask?

A high-contrast optical mask is a tool used in photolithography, a process for creating patterns on semiconductor materials. It is a specialized film that contains a pattern of opaque and transparent areas that is used to transfer the pattern onto the semiconductor material.

2. Why is a high-contrast optical mask important?

A high-contrast optical mask is important because it allows for precise and accurate patterning on semiconductor materials. This is essential for the creation of microchips and other electronic devices.

3. How is a high-contrast optical mask created?

A high-contrast optical mask is created using a process called photomask fabrication. This involves using specialized software and equipment to design and transfer the desired pattern onto a glass or quartz plate, which is then coated with a layer of chrome or other opaque material.

4. What factors affect the contrast of an optical mask?

Several factors can affect the contrast of an optical mask, including the thickness and quality of the opaque layer, the transparency of the substrate material, and the wavelength of the light used during the photolithography process.

5. Can a high-contrast optical mask be reused?

No, a high-contrast optical mask cannot be reused. The pattern on the mask is specific to a particular design and cannot be altered or transferred to another material. Therefore, a new mask must be created for each new pattern or design.