1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Credit/No Credit Pro's and Con's ?

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    I'm a physics student taking probability. It's not required for my degree but I know that probability and statistics are good things to understand for experimental scientists, engineers, and perhaps everyone. Anyway, I wanted to get an A because I'd really like to learn it well, but after a few stumbles on quizzes it looks like it's going to be an uphill battle. Definitely still possible, but definitely not as high of a probability as I had originally thought (haha).

What are the pro's and con's of taking a class like this with the Credit/No Credit option? It feels like a cop-out, but it would also remove a lot of stress. I think that I could still be dedicated in doing the HW and shooting for A grades. It would certainly be a disappointment to earn an A but only get a "Credit" score; on the other hand, I'd like to get a 4.0 (it's my first semester as an MS student, I've got plans to go for a PhD somewhere else) and a B would be a bummer.

Any thoughts? Do Cr/NCr grades look bad to PhD programs? Is this is a common thing to do?

Thanks everyone

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2012 #2
    Stop playing strategy and go for the grade. Go get that A! I doubt one B will kill any PhD hopes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook