Critical angle and minimum angle of incidence for light in ice

  • Thread starter Thread starter max1995
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Refraction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
max1995
Messages
84
Reaction score
11

Homework Statement


Light traveling thorugh air is at incident at point x on the block of ice. If the refractive index is 1.3, calculate
a) the critical angle at the ice-air interface (3 marks)
b) the minimum angle of incidence, for the light to Y refracted out of the block at any point along the top surface (7 marks)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


a) sin(θc)=1/nm
θ= sin-1(1/1.3)
θ= 50.3 (1 d.p)

is this right?

b) Need help on this one
 
Physics news on Phys.org
NascentOxygen said:
(a) is right.

For (b) there's a diagram to accompany it?

yep it is in the file i uploaded
 
Attachments
NascentOxygen said:
I can view only jpegs, sorry.
Managed to turn it into jpeg
 
Attachments
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 423
I was anticipating there'd be a point Y. I find there is not.

Perhaps you meant to type
b) the minimum angle of incidence, for light to be refracted out of the block at any point along the top surface[/color]?

If so, start by drawing a large diagram with all straight lines (e.g., by using a ruler).

By "any point" I think they don't mean "every point", just at least some point.