Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Critical points for difficult function

1. Mar 30, 2017 #1
    Given that f'(x)=[(8cos(x)/(x2)-(⅛)], find the number of relative maxima and minima on the interval (1,10). Finding maxima and minima analytically wasn't fruitful for me, so instead I used a bit of handwaving. First I argued, using the intermediate value theorem, since f'(1)>f'(10), there exists at least one maximum or minimum. Then I said, well, the derivative is approximately equal to 8cos(x)/x2 and since cos(x) has 2 minima and one maximum on the interval (1,10), then f(x) must have 2 minima and one maximum on that same interval.

Is there way to solve this without that handwaving?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Take the complete derivative and work it out ?

4. Mar 30, 2017 #3
    The derivative is the expression in the problem. Setting the derivative equal to zero results in 64cos(x)-x2=0. I don't see the way forward to solving that expression.

5. Mar 30, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

$$ f' (x) = 0 \Leftrightarrow ( 8 \sqrt{\cos x} + x )( 8 \sqrt{\cos x} - x ) = 0 \quad ? $$
    [edit] Limits the search for extrema to ## [1, {5\over 2} \pi] = [1, u]## with ##u < 8##

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  6. Mar 30, 2017 #5
    Yep, I got that. That's where I'm stuck, solving 8sqrt(cos(x)+/-x=0. I thought about expressing sqrt(cos(x)) as the first few terms of a Maclaurin series but that's less than exact or elegant.

7. Mar 30, 2017 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Exactness isn't required if you only need the number of extrema. A simultaneous plot of ##\cos x## and ##x^2/64## does the trick...

8. Mar 30, 2017 #7
    I know. I was just unsatisfied with not being able to find an analytic solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted