1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crystal Growth - Czochralski technique, finding concen. of dopant after growth

1. Jan 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A doped silicon ingot is to be grown by the Czochralski technique with a dopant concentration of 1016boron atoms/cm3. If k0 = 0.9 for boron/Si, what concentration of boron atoms should be in the melt?

2. Relevant equations
    Cs/C0 = k0 (1 - m/m0) k0-1

k0 = Cs / Cl

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think it's just a case of subbing in the numbers to establish Cs and then using this in the second equation to find Cl, but I'm really confused about what the values of M and M0 should be in this scenario.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2012 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To be honest, I'm not familiar with this topic but I see that your question has gone unanswered for nearly 1-1/2 days so I'll see what I can do to help.

What do the m and m0 in the equation represent? Wherever you got that equation from, there should be definitions of all the terms in it.

Also, is this question from a Physics class or an Engineering class? If it belongs in the Engineering homework area, I could move your post there where people more knowledgeable about it are more likely to see it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?