1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Semiconductor: Cz Crystal Growth

1. Sep 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A Czochralski growth process is begun by inserting 1000 moles of pure silicon and 0.01
    mole of pure arsenic in a crucible. For this boule, the maximum permissible doping
    concentration is 1018 cm-3. What fraction (X) of the boule is usable? (k=0.3)

2. Relevant equations

[tex]C_{s}=kC_{0}(1-X)^{(k-1)}[/tex]

Where [tex]C_{s}[/tex] is the concentration in the solid, k is the segregation coefficient [tex]{C_s}/{C_l}[/tex], [tex]C_0[/tex] is the initial doping concentration in the melt, and X is the fraction of the boule that is solidified.

3. The attempt at a solution

In our case, k<1, so [tex]C_s[/tex] increases as X increases.
    I am trying to find X when [tex]C_{s}_{max}=10^{18}cm^{-3}[/tex]

[tex]C_{s}_{max}=kC_{0}(1-X_{max})^{(k-1)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{C_{s}_{max}}{kC_{0}}=(1-X_{max})^{(k-1)}[/tex]

[tex]\left(\frac{C_{s}_{max}}{kC_{0}}\right)^{(1-k)}=(1-X_{max})[/tex]

[tex]X_{max}=1-\left(\frac{C_{s}_{max}}{kC_{0}}\right)^{(1-k)}[/tex]

From here on out it's plug-n-play with my one show-stopper: I am given [tex]C_{0}[/tex] as a molar ratio (unitless), and [tex]C_{s}_{max}[/tex] as a volume ratio (#/cm^3). I need my final answer to be unitless. How do I convert [tex]C_{s}_{max}[/tex] to a unitless ratio? I'd play with density, but I don't know either the pressure or temperature at which this process is being carried out.

Thanks!

~Malka

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2010 #2
    Never mind: Csmax is a value for the solid crystal, so I just used densities and molar masses of solid silicon and arsenic to get C0 in units of cm-3.

Also, to correct a mistake in last post: I made an algebra error while isolating Csmax.

The second-to-last equation should read
    [tex]\left(\frac{C_{s}_{max}}{kC_{0}}\right)^{\frac{1}{k-1}}=(1-X_{max})[/tex]

and similarly for the last equation.

4. Sep 16, 2010 #3
    In order to calculate C_0, do you think we should use solid densities or liquid densities? C_0 is the initial melt concentration.

You are right about the fact that pressure and temperature of the process are not given. But I think using liquid densities will yield more accurate result.

Thanks for taking the initiative to discuss the problem.

Regards

Hasib

5. Sep 17, 2010 #4
    Yes, but from my understanding, melts are generally made by putting solid components into a crucible and then heating them until they melt (and perhaps a bit beyond).
    But I hear what you are saying, that C0 is supposed to describe a liquid.
    Perhaps for most accurate results, we should convert Csmax, which is for a solid, into a molar ratio.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook