Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crystallization of Benzoic Acid

1. Jan 14, 2009 #1
    Hi there,

This may seem like weird question, but for my pre-lab this week I need to add along with intro and flow chart a table of reagents. now my only two reagents that I will be using is 2 g of crude Benzoic acid (including impurities) and water. in my table though, they ask for the # moles and density of applicable.

since my 2 grams of crude benzoic acid is not pure, should I still convert it into # moles. My thinking is that I should not. Also for water, since I do not know exactly how much I will have to add during the boiling process, I believe I should not add this either.

As for densities, since none were given in the lab manual - is it customary to use 1 g/mL for water and 1.32 g/mL for benzoic acid in its solid form?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I would convert benzoic to moles stating something like "maximum number of moles" to underline that it is not really true.

4. Jan 14, 2009 #3
    That is what I was thinking should have been done. Thanks for the tip Borek.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?