TiO2 Photocatalyst to replicate making a photocatalytic PVA film

  • Thread starter Thread starter TroyPhotocatalytic
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
0 replies · 2K views
TroyPhotocatalytic
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi photocatalytic experts, I've recently at home tried to replicate making a photocatalytic PVA film as outlined below (taken from the research undertaken by Lin, et al in a number of publications. A summary of the method was as follows:
"15 mL of tetrabutyl titanate (TBT) was added into 15 mL of
trifluoroacetic acid solution (50 wt.%) at room temperature. After stir￾ring for 3 h, a transparent solution was obtained. Then the solvent was
removed through a rotary evaporator. Finally, yellowish titania xerogel
was obtained.
0.125 g of titania xerogel and 0.5 g of PVA were dissolved into 16 mL
of deionized water, respectively. Subsequently, the above prepared two
solutions were mixed together under stirring and then transferred into
a 40 mL Teflon-lined autoclave, which was heated to 150 °C for 3 h.
After cooling down to room temperature, the solution was poured out
to a plastic dish and formed the PVA/TiO2 nanocomposite films."I wanted to use this film in combination with formic acid (a hole scavenger) to reduce NO3- from an aqueous solution via the formation of carboxyl radicals.The film looked good when done (I made up 4 Petri dishes of it). One I used with methylene blue to see if it would speed up decolourisation under sunlight but there was no improvement in speed over another Petri dish with no tio2/PVA (sun bleaching was more effective so I guess no OH radicals were created)?The second test I added water with 400mg/L of NO3- to a Petri dish, added formic acid at a molar ratio of 3:1 FA to NO3- and irradiated with 365nm 18W UV light. After 2 hours the NO3- was 650mg/L!!! Tested with a Horiba ionic NO3- Meter.So my questions are:
- did I do something wrong in my prep? I copied the steps to the letter though. I used one of those steel 100mL autoclaves with the Teflon inner container that goes in the oven. I cooked it for 3hrs at 150 degrees. I dried the meshed at 60 degrees C in a dehydrator overnight. There should be anatase crystals right?- how could the NO3- levels go up? I measured my pre sample after putting in the formic acid (pH was 3.6). If there was anatase, with a hole scavenger and low pH, it should have been converted to N gases. What could have happened?Any thoughts would be much appreciated. This is a hobby of mine and I wanted to make something cool for my fish tank. I have a science background and degree so happy for technical answers or questions. I understand the NO3- reduction pathways and possibility of making ammonia. I understand the difference between photolysis and photocatalysis and how hydroxide and carboxyl radicals are formed and recombine, etc.Please help!!!