CSP power plant efficiency calculations

In summary, the parabolic trough concentrator would affect the efficiency of a basic rankine cycle by multiplying the collector efficiency.
sam_89
Hello,
please I want to know how to calculate the overall efficiency of a concentrated solar power plant (CSP) which uses parabolic trough concentrator,so please if you can provide me with detailed information and calculation method.

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
What parameters are you given to work with? Do you have your heat sink's temperature? The absorptivity of your receiver and so on?

yes I have these parameters ,the reflectivity of the collector,the absorptivity of the receiver and the temperatures.

sam_89 said:
yes I have these parameters ,the reflectivity of the collector,the absorptivity of the receiver and the temperatures.

In general, you would need the heat input and the work output for efficiency.

[tex]\eta = \frac{W}{Q}[/tex]

Do you have the work output from the steam turbine (or whichever kind) ?

What pressures and temperatures are you working with?

Is your plant running under the rankine cycle or a different one?

My CSP power plant is running under rankine cycle.As you know the boiler,in this power plant is replaced by the parabolic trough concentrator to generate steam before entering the turbine.

I have the pressure entering the pump and leaving it,and the output power of the turbine.
Also I have all the temperatures needed,the reflectance of the collector,the emissivity and the absorptivity of the receiver(tube).

The idea is to find how the integration of parabolic trough concentrator,will affect the efficiency formula of the basic rankine cycle,maybe it will multiplied by the collector efficiency,so how to calculate it?

Last edited:
sam_89 said:
My CSP power plant is running under rankine cycle.As you know the boiler,in this power plant is replaced by the parabolic trough concentrator to generate steam before entering the turbine.

I have the pressure entering the pump and leaving it,and the output power of the turbine.
Also I have all the temperatures needed,the reflectance of the collector,the emissivity and the absorptivity of the receiver(tube).

The idea is to find how the integration of parabolic trough concentrator,will affect the efficiency formula of the basic rankine cycle,maybe it will multiplied by the collector efficiency,so how to calculate it?

You can see how to get the theoretical efficiency (in combination with carnot efficiency) from this section of Wikipedia.

The final efficiency formula gives all the parameters you would use. I have not really studied parabolic trough concentrators so I can't really tell how much times it would concentrate the solar flux.

hey guys i want to become a scientist and i need lessons

1. How is the efficiency of a CSP power plant calculated?

The efficiency of a CSP (Concentrated Solar Power) power plant is calculated by dividing the amount of energy produced by the plant by the total amount of energy that is received from the sun. This calculation takes into account factors such as solar irradiance, thermal losses, and the efficiency of the power conversion process.

2. What is the typical efficiency of a CSP power plant?

The efficiency of a CSP power plant can vary depending on various factors such as location, technology used, and design of the plant. On average, the efficiency of a CSP power plant can range from 15% to 25%. However, with newer technologies and advancements in the field, it is possible to achieve even higher efficiencies of up to 40%.

3. How do temperature and weather conditions affect the efficiency of a CSP power plant?

The efficiency of a CSP power plant is greatly affected by temperature and weather conditions. Higher temperatures can cause a decrease in the efficiency of the plant as it can lead to thermal losses and decreased performance of the solar panels. Similarly, cloudy or overcast weather conditions can also reduce the efficiency of the plant as it decreases the amount of solar irradiance received.

4. Can the efficiency of a CSP power plant be improved?

Yes, the efficiency of a CSP power plant can be improved through various means such as using more advanced solar collectors, implementing thermal energy storage systems, and optimizing the power conversion process. Ongoing research and development in the field are continuously working towards improving the efficiency of CSP power plants.

5. How does the efficiency of a CSP power plant compare to other forms of renewable energy?

CSP power plants have a relatively high efficiency compared to other forms of renewable energy such as solar photovoltaic (PV) systems. This is because CSP power plants use concentrated solar energy to produce electricity, while solar PV systems directly convert sunlight into electricity. However, the efficiency of CSP power plants is still lower than that of traditional fossil fuel power plants, but it is a cleaner and more sustainable form of energy production.