Current generated by plasma of uneven density in a Magnetic Field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 1K views
phantomvommand
Messages
287
Reaction score
39
Homework Statement
Please see the attached photo.
Relevant Equations
NA, this is a qualitative question.
I am only asking about part (b)(i) and (b)(ii).

IMG_6756.jpg

Below is the explanation for (b)(i).

IMG_6757.jpg

What is going on in the above? I understand up till the 3rd line, about the left/right hand circular motion. What is the "upward motion" the solution mentioned? Is it suggesting that ions are moving upwards, as indicated by the purple arrow J? If so, how is that happening; since pressure is in the X, not Y direction? Furthermore, why would electrons flow in the opposite direction as ions? I think I am unclear about how this "plasma pressure" arises, and thus unaware of its effects.

All help is appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I have since figured this out. I think The question means that there is a velocity parallel to the magnetic field too, hence allowing for an upward/ downward helical movement.
 
I'm very impressed by the courtesy of the person who wrote the questions. I can't remember seeing 'please' being consistently (or ever!) used in physics questions.