Current generated by plasma of uneven density in a Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the explanation for part (b)(i) and the concept of plasma pressure. The explanation mentions left/right hand circular motion and upward motion, which refers to the ions moving upwards as indicated by the purple arrow J. The question also addresses the direction of electron flow and the role of plasma pressure in this process. The person expresses their appreciation for the courtesy of the question writer and notes the use of "please" in physics questions.
phantomvommand
Homework Statement
Please see the attached photo.
Relevant Equations
NA, this is a qualitative question.
I am only asking about part (b)(i) and (b)(ii).

IMG_6756.jpg

Below is the explanation for (b)(i).

IMG_6757.jpg

What is going on in the above? I understand up till the 3rd line, about the left/right hand circular motion. What is the "upward motion" the solution mentioned? Is it suggesting that ions are moving upwards, as indicated by the purple arrow J? If so, how is that happening; since pressure is in the X, not Y direction? Furthermore, why would electrons flow in the opposite direction as ions? I think I am unclear about how this "plasma pressure" arises, and thus unaware of its effects.

All help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have since figured this out. I think The question means that there is a velocity parallel to the magnetic field too, hence allowing for an upward/ downward helical movement.

Likes berkeman
I'm very impressed by the courtesy of the person who wrote the questions. I can't remember seeing 'please' being consistently (or ever!) used in physics questions.

1. What is plasma?

Plasma is the fourth state of matter, consisting of a gas that has been heated to such a high temperature that its atoms have lost their electrons, resulting in a collection of positively charged ions and free electrons.

2. How is plasma created?

Plasma can be created by heating a gas, applying an electric field to a gas, or subjecting a gas to a strong electromagnetic field. In the case of uneven density, this can occur naturally due to variations in temperature or artificially through controlled processes.

3. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a force field that is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons. It is characterized by its direction and strength and can be manipulated using magnets or electric currents.

4. How does uneven plasma density affect the current generated in a magnetic field?

Uneven plasma density can cause disruptions in the flow of current within a magnetic field. This can result in fluctuations in the strength and direction of the current, leading to potential instabilities and changes in the overall behavior of the plasma.

5. What are the practical applications of studying current generated by plasma in a magnetic field?

Understanding the behavior of plasma in a magnetic field is crucial for many technological applications, such as fusion energy research, plasma propulsion systems, and plasma-based electronics. It also has implications for natural phenomena, such as solar flares and auroras.