1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current induction into an antenna?

1. May 11, 2006 #1
    I am researching radios in physics, and i need to find out what current is induced into a wire depending on its power, i dont know the units for the power of the radio wave.

can someone help me out? thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm a little fuzzy on what you're asking. You can calculate the receive voltage on the antenna terminals based on the field strength of the incoming electromagnetic signal, for various antenna configurations and so on. Like for an ideal dipole or monopole antenna at resonance, you can express the output terminal voltage as a function of the Electric field strength of the incoming EM (in units of Volts/meter). You can convert the electric field strength to a power if you want (in watts), to go from incoming power to the output terminal voltage of the antenna. Is this what you are trying to do, or are you looking at more basic stuff? Is this for high school physics (mostly just forumulas) or for college physics (so you have a background in Maxwell's equations, etc.)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?