Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current state of string theory

1. Jan 14, 2009 #1

jgens

Gold Member

Can anyone point me in the direction of a paper, website, etc. which essentially discusses the current state of theory - I think its defunct; however, my ToK instructor wants some evidence of it - or any predictions, if any, the theory made?

Suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2009 #2
    Re: String-Theory

It will be difficult for your ToK to have anything to say about that, except repeating what he read written by somebody else. Not only should your instructor have understood correctly what was written, but this other writing person should have been well informed as well. Eventually, you are relying on a long chain, which I expect anything but intellectually robust.

The best is to study the theory by yourself seriously if you want to have anything to say about it. Until then, you may want not to claim "your theory is defunct" to a group of professionals. They are probably very well informed themselves of the limitations of the theory :smile:

This being said, here is an entry point (for instance)
    The Nature and Status of String Theory
    A dialog on quantum gravity
    How far are we from the quantum theory of gravity?
    Motl on the same topic

Maybe somebody else will have a more recent appropriate reference.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  4. Jan 14, 2009 #3

jgens

Gold Member

Thanks, for your response.

Well, I suppose I should have been more clear: First, my ToK (Theory of Knowledge) instructor is not well versed in the sciences and makes no claims regarding the theory. Aside from books written by Greene several years ago, neither I nor my instructor are familiar with the current standing of the theory or any predictions it may or may not make. Also, this is a high school environment. :)

I personally do not make any absolute assertions regarding the theory, I only think it's defunct and I certainly am not an authoritative or even near slightly knowledgeable source. If the theory is not defunct, a web-site or paper written by a reputable scientist claiming this would suffice (though it must be recent).

Again, thanks for your response and I'm sorry that I was not clear enough.

5. Jan 14, 2009 #4

atyy

Science Advisor

The last section of this paper has a qualitative discussion of the present status of string theory:
    Physics of String Flux Compactifications
    Frederik Denef, Michael R. Douglas, Shamit Kachru
    http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0701050

6. Jan 14, 2009 #5

jgens

Gold Member

Thanks, I haven't really read through the paper yet but it looks like something that might suffice for the purposes of ToK.

Humanino, having re-read my previous post I would like to appologize. I think it may be interpretted as rude which was certainly not my intent.

7. Jan 15, 2009 #6

atyy

Science Advisor

Maybe also useful is a public lecture by David Gross in which he starts talking about the achievements and failures string theory around 1:05

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  8. Jan 15, 2009 #7

Uhm, string theory completely dominates research in quantum gravity and high energy theory as it has done for the last 25 years and will continue to do into the forseable future.

9. Jan 17, 2009 #8

Well, what immediately popped into my mind was
    Doesn't get much more recent than that!

That paper's in my "to read" pile, so I don't have the best idea of the level of knowledge it assumes of the reader. It's a write-up of a couple of Erice lectures, probably targeted towards grad students, but skimming through it there seems to be enough qualitative discussion that dedicated laymen could get something out of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?