Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cycads, athletic head injuries, and ALS

1. Aug 17, 2010 #1
    I recently ran across a couple of comments to http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100817/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_head_injuries_als" [Broken]

As an athlete who's had several head injuries over the years, but one who has never eaten cycads (that I know of), what might I expect? What should I do? Avoid brown rice? Continue to exercise my body and brain, eat right, stay healthy? Avoid meat from those areas (which I might add includes some of the S.A. meat eaten here in the US...)?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2010 #2

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I'd probably worry more about solanine if you're worried about neurotoxin ingestion from food, although even that isn't usually found in a very high concentration in anything unless you're eating diseased potatoes.

There are schools of nutritional practitioners that won't eat plants requiring processing for this basic reason. An animal's defense against predation is to run or fight. Plants can't do that, so they tend to develop means of harming whatever eats them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook