1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

D and E at boundary (dielectrics)

1. Jun 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Electromagnetics, Kraus, 4th edition problem 4.7.3
    The y-z plane is the boundary between 2 dielectrics of relative permittivities εr = 2 and εr = 5. For negative values of x, E = (3,0,2) V/m. Find D (magnitude and direction) for positive values of x.

2. Relevant equations
    The one that is similar to Snell's Law, not sure of name:
    i) ε2 tan (incident angle to normal) = ε1 tan (refracted angle to normal)

which is derived from boundary conditions for 2 dielectrics with the absence of surface charges

ii)D1(normal) = D2(normal)
    iii)E1(tangent) = E2(tangent)

3. The attempt at a solution
    The x-axis is parallel to the normal of the boundary. So, I first found the angle the electric field vector makes with the x-axis to be 0.588 radians.

incident angle to normal (x-axis) = inverse tan (2/3)

This value was substituted into equation i) along with 5 and 2 for ε1 and ε2 respectively. Solving for the refracted angle, I obtained 1.03037 radians. I believe all of this is correct.

What I am having trouble with is now getting the magnitude of D2. If I just use equations ii) and iii) with pythagorean theorem I get an answer different than the book, which says: D2 = ε0(6,0,10).

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2013 #2
    I figured it out, I had originally put the relative permittivity of 5 on the negative x side, but making it positive gives the correct result. Also, the "snell's law"-like equation isn't necessary at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted