Planar wave normally incident on dielectric boundary

In summary, the problem is asking to find the reflected time average power flux of a parallel polarized planar wave incident on a dielectric boundary with a given incident time average power flux and medium properties. There are two cases to consider, one where the conductivity is much smaller than the product of frequency and vacuum permittivity, and one where it is much larger. The calculated reflected power flux is 100/9 w/m^2 and there is potential to use the conductivity in the calculation, but it is unclear if it is necessary or not.
cfitzU2
PROBLEM: I am asked to consider a parallel polarized planar wave with frequency ω is normally incident on a dielectric boundary. The incident time average power flux P_i = 100 w/m^2. The first medium is free space and the second has vacuum permeability but ε=4ε_0. We are also given that the medium is characterized by conductivity σ.

I am then asked to find the reflected time average power flux P_reflected in two cases

(i) σ/(ω*ε_0)<<1 and (ii) σ/(ω*ε_0)>>1

My problem is that, while performing the calculation I see no use for the quantity in question, namely, σ/(ω*ε_0)...

ATTEMPT: I am able to find the reflected time average power flux using P_i = (1/2*η)(E_i)^2 = 100 w/m^2 with P_reflected = (1/2*η)(E_r)^2 and E_r = ρE_i where ρ=(η_2 - η)/(η+η_2).

This is especially simple after noting that η_2 = (1/2)η

The calculation leads to P_reflected = 100/9 w/m^2

I see no opportunity to consider how varying the conductivity changes that number... I realize that as σ gets big η_2 must go to zero... but we are given a fixed ε=4*ε_0

Am I missing something or is this a poorly posed (or trick) problem??

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the permitivity can me complex, but only the real part has been given. Remember that [itex]\eta[/itex] is described interms of: [itex]\eta = \sqrt{\frac{\mu_0}{\textbf{ε}}}[/itex], where [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is actually the complex permitivity.

There is plenty potential to use [itex] \frac{\sigma}{\omega * \epsilon_{0}} << 1[/itex] and [itex] \frac{\sigma}{\omega * \epsilon_{0}} >> 1[/itex] cases

Related to Planar wave normally incident on dielectric boundary

1. What is a planar wave normally incident on a dielectric boundary?

A planar wave normally incident on a dielectric boundary is a type of electromagnetic wave that is traveling perpendicular to the boundary between two materials with different dielectric constants.

2. How does the dielectric constant affect the behavior of the incident wave?

The dielectric constant of a material determines how much the electric field of the wave will be altered as it passes through the material. A higher dielectric constant means the electric field will be reduced more, resulting in a weaker wave.

3. What happens to the incident wave when it reaches the boundary?

When the incident wave reaches the boundary between two materials, it will be partially reflected and partially transmitted. The amount of reflection and transmission depends on the difference in dielectric constants between the two materials.

4. How is the reflection and transmission of the incident wave calculated?

The reflection and transmission coefficients can be calculated using the Fresnel equations, which take into account the angle of incidence and the dielectric constants of the materials.

5. Are there any practical applications for understanding planar waves incident on dielectric boundaries?

Yes, understanding how waves behave at dielectric boundaries is crucial in many areas of science and technology. It is used in the design of optical devices, such as lenses and mirrors, and in the study of light propagation in different materials.