1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planar wave normally incident on dielectric boundary

1. Oct 15, 2012 #1
    PROBLEM: I am asked to consider a parallel polarized planar wave with frequency ω is normally incident on a dielectric boundary. The incident time average power flux P_i = 100 w/m^2. The first medium is free space and the second has vaccum permeability but ε=4ε_0. We are also given that the medium is characterized by conductivity σ.

I am then asked to find the reflected time average power flux P_reflected in two cases

(i) σ/(ω*ε_0)<<1 and (ii) σ/(ω*ε_0)>>1

My problem is that, while performing the calculation I see no use for the quantity in question, namely, σ/(ω*ε_0)...

ATTEMPT: I am able to find the reflected time average power flux using P_i = (1/2*η)(E_i)^2 = 100 w/m^2 with P_reflected = (1/2*η)(E_r)^2 and E_r = ρE_i where ρ=(η_2 - η)/(η+η_2).

This is especially simple after noting that η_2 = (1/2)η

The calculation leads to P_reflected = 100/9 w/m^2

I see no opportunity to consider how varying the conductivity changes that number... I realize that as σ gets big η_2 must go to zero... but we are given a fixed ε=4*ε_0

Am I missing something or is this a poorly posed (or trick) problem??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2012 #2
    Note that the permitivity can me complex, but only the real part has been given. Remember that [itex]\eta[/itex] is described interms of: [itex]\eta = \sqrt{\frac{\mu_0}{\textbf{ε}}}[/itex], where [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is actually the complex permitivity.

There is plenty potential to use [itex] \frac{\sigma}{\omega * \epsilon_{0}} << 1[/itex] and [itex] \frac{\sigma}{\omega * \epsilon_{0}} >> 1[/itex] cases

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook