1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damped Vibration, 1DOF, Worked example, Need help breaking it down.

1. Sep 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39373&stc=1&d=1317244721

2. Relevant equations

In all honesty im not sure?

3. The attempt at a solution

This question was used as a worked example in my first tutorial for Dynamics. The lecturer didn't break it down into logical steps or explain where he was getting all the formulae he used so im left with pages of notes that dont make any sense!?

I cant pick out the formulae from the equations or pick out what it is he's done to find k, spring stiffness and C, damper coefficient and then the equation for displacement as a function of time with the few bits of info there are. One thing that puzzles me is the first line is 2Td=4, so Td=2 and I dont know what T or d stand for?

I guess this is asking a lot but if someone could write out the working out step by step so I can go through it a few times and try to learn it it'd be a life saver! Either that or point me in the direction of an example similar to this on the net? At the moment im trying to find walkthroughs on the net but cant find anything that explains it. Kind of hard to teach yourself something you dont know :(

Thanks for any help!!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2011 #2
  4. Sep 29, 2011 #3
    thanks! That helps a bit but I cant find out what omega(d) is, or what Td is. I've found that T=period...but whats d?? :-/

5. Sep 29, 2011 #4
    Nevermind, omega(d) is damped natural frequency. Im going to ask my lecturer if he can explain it to me next monday :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook