Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Dangerous nutritional advice

1. Mar 28, 2009 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My thread on potassium brought this food faddist to my attention. It just re-emphasizes that people that go down the path of self-medicating or even making changes to a nutritionally sound diet are risking not only their health but their lives.

This is shocking, but unfortunately there are many, many people that are more willing to believe crackpots than follow sound advice. I strongly suggest reading the entire linked article.

http://www.quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/davis.html

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2009 #2

alxm

Science Advisor

Yup, it's a sad state of affairs indeed. It really borders on cult-like behavior at times.

No, strike that. It is cult behavior at times! Given that it seems to be pretty common for cults to form their own insane and often-dangerous ideas about health and nutrition. (Scientology, for instance, has quite the handful)

4. Mar 30, 2009 #3
    It wouldn't be so bad, if they would have kept it to small amounts. I was pretty much raised on drinking barley greens. It is a good cleanser, but only to be used in small amounts!

5. Mar 30, 2009 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Not good. There is a fad being pushed at "health-food" stores these days selling "colon cleansers" that are organic, natural, and "good" for you. That is so ignorant and dishonest that it should be a crime. It does not matter if a laxative is chemically-derived or compounded from plants - laxative-overuse strips the body of vital nutrients, and while laxatives may help you lose weight temporarily, the disruption in the retention and uptake of nutrients is ultimately very unhealthy.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  6. Mar 30, 2009 #5

Evo

The whole idea that people need to "cleanse" their colons is not only ridiculous, it's dangerous.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_5_3X_Colon_Therapy.asp [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Mar 30, 2009 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To be fair, in the 50s doctors were recommending cigarettes to ease coughs and vegetarians were thought to be dangerous cranks.

8. Mar 30, 2009 #7

Evo

Ah, you've been taken in by internet misinformation.

http://www.ajph.org/cgi/content/full/96/2/222

9. Mar 30, 2009 #8

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Some great 40/50s ads for cigarrettes here
    http://lane.stanford.edu/tobacco/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCMzjJjuxQI

I suppose this IS a bit like a survey saying, "most drug addict doctors choose vicodin"

10. Apr 4, 2009 #9
    they certainly can be. and vegans are dangerous cranks.

11. Apr 4, 2009 #10
    Hey now....I used to be vegan, you best be careful! :wink:

12. Apr 4, 2009 #11
    well i'm glad you came to your senses. :biggrin:

13. Apr 7, 2009 #12

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Back in the 80's, Linus Pauling came here to speak on campus, and he did a local radio talk show that evening. He was going on and on about vitamin C, and a med student called in and excoriated him- really laid into the guy on air- for spreading pseudo-scientific nonsense. I was in high school at the time and realized that even great men can be lunatics.

14. Apr 7, 2009 #13

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It did seem to be almost a relief to the medical industry when he finally died (in his 90s and as vigorous as ever)

You did feel that you would soon see articles like: "Medical doctors dismissed claims that megadose vitamin C helps you live longer and be more active. The 120 year old Linus Pauling could not be reached for comment since he was climbing Everest with his new 19year old wife"

15. Apr 7, 2009 #14
    So... is that to say the milk gave her cancer? Cause i drink almost a liter of milk a day. (not for any reason, just cause its great stuff)

16. Apr 7, 2009 #15
    no. it means milk won't protect you from getting cancer. and neither will vitamin C or shark cartilage.

17. Apr 7, 2009 #16

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

There's your problem: it has to be Imperial units, or the health benefits do not accrue. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook