Dark energy and the Cosmological Constant

In summary, the Universe expanded rapidly in its first moments and then slowed down. However, it is now accelerating due to the presence of Dark Energy, which is responsible for the accelerated expansion. The cosmological constant, also known as Dark Energy, is constant and has only become dominant in the latter history of the universe. This is because the other influences, such as matter and radiation, have become diluted over time. While the expansion rate of the universe has changed over time, the cosmological constant remains constant. There are other theoretical possibilities for Dark Energy that may not be constant, but the current understanding is that the cosmological constant is responsible for the acceleration of the expansion.
This kinda reminds me of the shrinking universe idea. I still prefer the geometric interpretation - purely on the grounds of simplicity. Dark energy makes for a much more complicated universe, IMO.

Space news on Phys.org
Buzz Bloom said:
It involves an alternative to Lambda/Dark Energy which would also cause an acceleration of the Universe expansion.

See my replies in that thread.

Last edited: