Dark matter and SMBH orbital decay

In summary, the conversation discusses the discovery of two super massive black holes orbiting each other in a far off galaxy and the unsolved mystery of their formation and progression. The possibility of dark matter being a better candidate for aiding the black holes is also brought up. However, it is mentioned that the amount of dark matter falling into black holes is negligible and it would need to be captured in the vicinity of the black hole pair in order to be slingshotted away. The conversation concludes by discussing how both falling into the black hole and being slingshotted away can bring the black holes closer together.
newjerseyrunner
I have a curiosity. I saw recently how a team of researchers discovered two super massive black holes orbiting each other in a far off galaxy. (Google it if you didn’t hear, fascinating how they did it.).

Anyway, I read a few things about unsolved mysteries of their formation and how SMBHs migrate onwards by kicking stars out, trading angular momentum. Then how they get stuck orbiting each other because there are no more stars to toss out and nobody seems to be sure how they progress from there. I read a few places how gas and dust may help a little but how that resource would be quickly gobbled up or blown out by the heat.

So far I haven’t seen anything about dark matter though. So my question is why would dark matter not be a better candidate than gas and dust? Since it doesn’t interact with light, it wouldn’t be blown away and it seems like the supply of it at the galactic core would be for all practical purposes infinite.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The amount of dark matter falling into black holes is completely negligible. We had various calculations here in the past, the search function should find them.
newjerseyrunner said:
Since it doesn’t interact with light, it wouldn’t be blown away
Yes, but there is also nothing that would capture it.

mfb said:
The amount of dark matter falling into black holes is completely negligible. We had various calculations here in the past, the search function should find them.
Yes, but there is also nothing that would capture it.
But I’m not asking about it being captured. I’m asking about it being slingshotted away. The energy given to the accelerated particle is taken away from the orbital energy of the BH. Basically small thurst over a billion years.

I’m under the impression that black holes move to the centers of galaxies by flinging things out, not eating them. Why wouldn’t it do the same with dark matter?

Last edited:
To get slingshotted away it has to get close to the black hole. That is easier if there is a mechanism that captures the matter in the vicinity of the black hole pair.
Falling into the black hole and getting shot away are two possible outcomes that both bring (on average) the black holes closer together.

Yes there is a thrust, but it is completely negligible.

Likes newjerseyrunner
A particle would get
newjerseyrunner said:
But I’m not asking about it being captured. I’m asking about it being slingshotted away. The energy given to the accelerated particle is taken away from the orbital energy of the BH. Basically small thurst over a billion years.

I’m under the impression that black holes move to the centers of galaxies by flinging things out, not eating them. Why wouldn’t it do the same with dark matter?

The black holes can fling both ways. From a distance a particle follows an elliptical orbit around the barycenter. If that orbit is a path "behind" one of the black holes then the particle flings out like a catapult round. If the orbit passes "in front" then the particle looses momentum and adds spin to the black hole pair. For example NASA has used Venus for gravity assist for missions to both Mercury and to Saturn.

1. What is dark matter and how does it relate to SMBH orbital decay?

Dark matter is a hypothetical form of matter that is thought to make up approximately 85% of the total matter in the universe. It does not interact with light, making it invisible to telescopes. SMBH orbital decay refers to the gradual decrease in the distance between a supermassive black hole and its orbiting stars. Dark matter is believed to play a role in this process by providing the additional gravitational pull needed to accelerate the decay.

2. How do we detect dark matter and measure its effects on SMBH orbital decay?

Dark matter cannot be directly observed, but its presence can be inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter. One way to measure its effects on SMBH orbital decay is by studying the movements of stars around the black hole and comparing them to models that include the influence of dark matter.

3. What are the current theories about the nature of dark matter?

There are several theories about the nature of dark matter, including the WIMP (weakly interacting massive particles) theory and the MACHO (massive compact halo object) theory. However, no one theory has been able to fully explain the observed effects of dark matter, and its true nature remains a mystery.

4. Can dark matter and SMBH orbital decay have any impact on our daily lives?

Dark matter and SMBH orbital decay have no direct impact on our daily lives as they occur on a cosmic scale. However, the study of these phenomena can help us better understand the structure and evolution of our universe.

5. How important is the study of dark matter and SMBH orbital decay in the field of astrophysics?

The study of dark matter and SMBH orbital decay is crucial in the field of astrophysics as it can help us unravel some of the biggest mysteries of the universe, such as the formation and evolution of galaxies. It also has implications for our understanding of gravity and the fundamental laws of physics.