Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dark matter/Dark antimatter Asymmetry?

1. Jul 20, 2012 #1
    is there evidence to believe that there is an Asymmetry?, for example from the very early universe when there was interaction and annihilation between dark matter and matter

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2012 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your question is too vague. There is no evidence dark matter and baryonic matter ever interacted to any significant degree.

4. Jul 21, 2012 #3

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

The general expectation is that there probably isn't any matter/anti-matter asymmetry in dark matter, because dark matter interacts too weakly with itself at lower temperatures to annihilate.

5. Jul 21, 2012 #4
    But from what I heard, according to popular models the WIMPs where annihlating into standard model particles and where in thermal equilibrium. until some point when they fell out of equilibrium. is that not true?

6. Jul 21, 2012 #5

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

It depends a bit on the model, but typically they stop annihilating while there's still a large amount of both matter and anti-matter making up the dark matter.

7. Jul 21, 2012 #6
    So if it had stayed long enough in equilibrium (after the baryon Asymmetry is there), will the Dark matter asymmetry be a prediction?

Thanks!!

8. Jul 21, 2012 #7

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

I don't think there's any reason to connect the baryon asymmetry to a hypothetical dark matter asymmetry. But no, I don't think that dark matter can behave the way it does and still annihilate with itself so often.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook