Dark matter on a different brane

In summary: None that I have read about. There are a LOT of string theories out, many have branes; that is two dimensional strings.
Pjpic
If brane theory says that gravity is weak because it extends into another spatial dimension, is it also saying that the gravity attributed to dark matter might be due to matter in another spatial dimension?

Physics news on Phys.org
None that I have read about. There are a LOT of string theories out, many have branes; that is two dimensional strings.

In addition
string theory does offer possible candidates for dark matter since since many theories include a LOT more particles and forces than has been observed (detected). String theory seems to offer no specific predictions as to which of many possible candidates are the dark energy or dark matter

Lee Smolin, THE TROUBLE WITH PHYSICS,2006

As far as my layman's research took me (I had a very similar idea), the Randall-Sundrum-Modell specifically mentions this effect as a possible source for dark matter.

I also thought that, depending of "our" brane's shape in a super-space, our very own matter might be just as much of a candidate as well, though that sounds even wilder (and, in my case, has to be called philosophical thinking, since I have no educational basis in physics - just math and IT).

One well-known but still incomplete idea is that string theory reduces to a low-energy effective SUSY theory which could be similar to the MSSM. Then the standard SUSY mechanisms (e.g. neutralinos, ... as DM candidates) apply. Unfortunately neither a realistic reduction to the SM or MSSM is known, nor is the generation of small but nonvanishing masses understood.

In these models DM located on a second brane is not required.

Naty1 said:
None that I have read about. There are a LOT of string theories out, many have branes; that is two dimensional strings.
Just to be careful, branes are not 2D strings. Branes are nonperturbative objects that arise as solutions to the supergravity equations of motion. They can be in any number of dimensions (up to the total dimensionality of the theory), although some string theories can only have odd or even dimension branes. The proper notation is a Dp-brane, where p denotes the number of spatial dimensions. Most popular brane world models posit our universe to be a D3-brane, with 3 uncompactified spatial dimensions.

Now, you can have a D1-brane, which is 1-dimensional like a fundamental string, and you can have higher dimensional Dp-branes wrapped around p-1 compactified extra dimensions, leaving only 1 extended dimension, also like a string.

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible to telescopes. Its existence is inferred from its gravitational effects on visible matter.

2. What is a brane?

A brane, short for membrane, is a theoretical concept in physics that refers to a higher-dimensional surface on which particles and other objects can exist. It is often used in string theory and other theories of the universe.

3. How is dark matter related to branes?

Dark matter on a different brane refers to the idea that dark matter may exist on a brane other than the one we currently inhabit. This is a possible explanation for why we have not been able to directly detect dark matter in our own brane.

4. How do scientists study dark matter on a different brane?

Scientists study dark matter on a different brane through theoretical models and mathematical calculations. They also look for indirect evidence of its existence through its gravitational effects on visible matter and the overall structure of the universe.

5. What are the implications of dark matter on a different brane?

If dark matter exists on a different brane, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the fundamental laws of physics. It could also impact our search for dark matter and the development of new theories to explain its nature.