Darshit P's question at Yahoo Answers regarding conservation of energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Messages
13,284
Reaction score
12
Here is the question:

I need help in physics!?

What minimum speed does a 200g puck need to make it to the top of a 3.7m -long, 26 degrees frictionless ramp?

Here is a link to the question:

I need help in physics!? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Darshit P,

Initially the puck has kinetic energy, and finally it has gravitational potential energy, and since only conservative forces are at work, we may equate the two:

$$\frac{1}{2}mv_i^2=mgh$$

Multiply through by $$\frac{2}{m}$$:

$$v_i^2=2gh$$

Take the positive root since we are asked for speed:

$$v_i=\sqrt{2gh}$$

Now, we need to know the height $h$ of the ramp. Let $L$ be the length of the ramp and $\theta$ be the angle of inclination. From the definition of the sine function, we may state:

$$\sin(\theta)=\frac{h}{L}\,\therefore\,h=L \sin(\theta)$$

and so we have:

$$v_i=\sqrt{2gL\sin(\theta)}$$

Now, plugging in the given and known data, we find:

$$v_i=\sqrt{2\left(9.8\,\frac{\text{m}}{\text{s}^2} \right)(3.7\text{ m})\sin\left(26^{\circ} \right)}\approx5.64\,\frac{\text{m}}{\text{s}}$$

To Darshit P and any other guests viewing this topic, I invite and encourage you to post other algebra based physics problems in our http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f22/ forum.

Best Regards,

Mark.