Darwin Was Wrong: Woodpeckers Show Why

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary, the woodpecker is banging its head against the window trying to get in. Darwin thought that natural selection would take care of this kind of behavior, but apparently not.
tribdog
Survival of the fittest?
Right now, as I'm typing this, I've got some idiotic woodpecker outside my bedroom window banging it's brains out on my air conditioner. If Darwin is right how could this sort of idiotic behavior not have been bred out of this bird? How did this species not go the way of some of the other Brainiacs of the Animal Kingdom like Triceratops, dodos and unicorns?
I thought natural selection took care of this sort of stuff. That's why we have woodpeckers but we don't have rockpeckers, mountainlionpeckers or peckerpeckers anymore.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was full of bull last night...beef burritos, nummy!

but we don't have rockpeckers, mountainlionpeckers or peckerpeckers anymore.
Dang! While the first two would most assuredly be amusing, it sure would be nice if EVERYONE could have a good peckerpecker!

I don't know about that, but I wouldn't say no to a peckerpucker.

ive heard that girls don't like peckerpackers.

Zero said:

what does that have to do with anything?

Zero is a burriterpecker...duh!

Zero said:

Aren't you on a diet? Now drop down and give me fifty!

jimmy p said:
Zero is a burritopecker...duh!
goll darn you, jimmy! now i HAVE to go change my pants... :eek: :frown:

i think you are so stupid.

looks like we have a randomabusepecker...

jimmy p said:

:wink: :biggrin:

actually, i thought the randomabusepecker was extinct, ladies and gentlemen, a RARITY... if you think about it in the wild, they WOULDNT survive long, going up to a lion and saying "your mum's a kitty!" just going to lead to mass extinction...

jimmy p said:
Yes it does. Or it could be a meaninglesscommentpecker. An often ignored species. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Yes it does. Or it could be a meaninglesscommentpecker. An often ignored species. :biggrin:

ah we are so fun-loving! :smile:

I appologise for what I previously said, or didn't say. Someone has gotten a hold on my password. I will change it immediatly.

ah... the dastardly theiving passwordpecker... :wink:

Or maybe the ole' hestolemypasswordnotmeatallpecker trick :smile:

I bet the loudness of the pecking works like a mating call. If a male can find something that makes a real racket, the females probably think, "Whoa, that's one helluva pecker!"

Njorl

A woodpecker needs to apply a great deal of force to bury his acorn nuts into his unwilling host.

i don't think trees have that much will. Or maybe they enjoy having a woodpeckers nuts shoved in them...

1. What is the main argument in "Darwin Was Wrong: Woodpeckers Show Why"?

The main argument in "Darwin Was Wrong: Woodpeckers Show Why" is that the theory of natural selection proposed by Charles Darwin may not fully explain the evolution of certain species, specifically the woodpecker. The authors argue that the unique physical and behavioral characteristics of woodpeckers, such as their ability to peck at trees without damaging their brains, cannot be explained by natural selection alone.

2. How do woodpeckers challenge Darwin's theory of natural selection?

Woodpeckers challenge Darwin's theory of natural selection by possessing traits that do not seem to provide any immediate survival advantage. For example, their long, pointed beaks and strong neck muscles are not necessary for finding food or avoiding predators, but rather for drilling into trees to create nests and store food. This challenges the idea that traits must have a direct survival benefit in order to be passed down through natural selection.

3. What alternative explanation do the authors propose for the evolution of woodpeckers?

The authors propose that the evolution of woodpeckers may be better explained by the theory of intelligent design. They suggest that the unique physical and behavioral characteristics of woodpeckers are too complex and specific to have evolved purely through random mutations and natural selection, and instead may require a guiding force or intelligence.

4. Is there any scientific evidence to support the authors' claim?

No, there is currently no scientific evidence to support the authors' claim that woodpeckers are evidence of intelligent design. The theory of intelligent design is not widely accepted in the scientific community and has been rejected by the majority of biologists and evolutionary scientists. The evidence for natural selection and evolution, on the other hand, is supported by a vast amount of scientific research and evidence.

5. How have other scientists responded to "Darwin Was Wrong: Woodpeckers Show Why"?

Other scientists have responded to "Darwin Was Wrong: Woodpeckers Show Why" with criticism and skepticism. Many have pointed out flaws in the authors' arguments and have argued that the evidence for natural selection and evolution is overwhelming. Others have accused the authors of misrepresenting and misunderstanding evolutionary theory. Overall, the scientific consensus remains that natural selection and evolution are the best explanations for the diversity of life on Earth.