1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dc motor + battery + solar panel

1. Nov 28, 2011 #1
    i would like to design a solar assisted driving mechanism for my bicycle?
    What is the compatible battery specifications to power 24v 1hp dc motor and the necessary solar panel specification to charge the battery? I'm kinda clueless in this so any help would be deeply appreciated. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Sounds like schoolwork. What is the context of the question?

4. Nov 28, 2011 #3
    it is not exactly homework but more of a project for me to do... it is really subjective but i'm trying to design a working motor system to assist the pedaling of a bicycle

5. Nov 28, 2011 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Since it is schoolwork, I will move this thread to the Homework Help forums. You are also required to do the bulk of the work, so please show us what you have done so far. What resources have you been reading about electric motors, motorized bicycles, batteries and solar recharging systems? Have you done some calculations that show how big a panel and how long in the sunshine your system would have to sit in order to recharge the battery? I think you will find that it will take several days in the sunshine to let you ride for an hour or two...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook