Is a Battery/Solar Powered Heater Feasible and Safe for Personal Use?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jsbarone
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Heater
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 7K views
jsbarone
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hey,

I have an idea for a device that I'm trying to fabricate, and I could use some help with the design. Hopefully you can tell me if what I want to do is possible, and what components I'd need. Thanks.

My idea is for a device, maybe 6 inches long by four wide that would contain a damp object. When the damp object is inserted, either a pressure switch or some moisture sensors would activate the device and it would begin heating the object either for a specified period of time, or until the object was dry. It would be powered by rechargeable batteries that you could charge via a wall socket, but possibly also powered or partially powered via solar cells. The temperature produced by the device would need to be low enough to be safe to the human touch---maybe 120 degrees fahrenheit.

Is this feasible via battery power, and how complicated would the electronics be? Thanks.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
simple circutry- 2 electrodes switching a transistor switching a relay and adjustable thermostat for temp control and a heating element- nichrome wire possibly or carbon rod, tungsten, iron, ect...
fesable, yes voltage of the battery has to be at least 3 volts, but 12 volt is the easiest to find chargers and things like that
 
You should also look at adding a small fan.
Removing the damp air is also a pretty effective way of drying something.
 
could any of you help me out with a wiring diagram? I am not electrically inclined...
 
common battery voltages-1.5, 3, 5, 6, 9, 12, 24, and 36 volts
two very good sites out start out on:
http://openbookproject.net//electricCircuits/Exper/index.html"
and
good reference- http://www.discovercircuits.com/list.htm"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
the country you are located in will determine avalibility of certain things like battery voltages and fan voltages, computer fans are usually 12 volt, at least all the ones i have encountered.