Dealing with Loud Music and Respect

• Music
  • Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary: the... music... on... when... you... go... out... to... party! If you like techno, try:Faster Kill Pussycat - Paul OakenfoldIf you like heavy metal, try:Metallica - Master of PuppetsIf you want to get into a race to see who can be the biggest jackass, I suppose that's your business.Are you sure you want to win this?
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Ok, my roommate plays heavy bass music CONSTANTLY. He's currently playing it this morning. He uses it to wake up, but it wakes everybody up. It's his alarm system.

It's very annoying.

Solution 1 - I started playing my own loud music that's louder than his and he's not hearing impaired. Also, I have the sub under the bed... he's right under me.

Solution 2 - I will do this if it goes too far. Doing it constantly until January. I will go into his room when he's away for the weekend. I will open his subwoofer box and cut a wire... o:) What happened?! I have no idea. o:) Maybe the subwoofer blew up. o:)

I have other solutions but those are the only two I will do. There are other solutions I'm considering before Solution 2.

Note: From friends, they would never ever do anything to displease me because I'm like the biggest con artist. :blushing: Because I get them back and never know it was related to me, and everything could spiral down, and they would be clueless on what happened.

Anyways, what's up with loud music people play randomly? I only play it before going out and such.

Any heavy bass songs you know?

Note: I told him that his bass is too high. But because he's inconsiderate and retarded... he will pay pay pay pay pay.

Science news on Phys.org
If you want to get into a race to see who can be the biggest jackass, I suppose that's your business. Are you sure you want to win this?

Vanadium 50 said:
If you want to get into a race to see who can be the biggest jackass, I suppose that's your business. Are you sure you want to win this?

Of course I'm going to win! No question.

All 3 roommates vs 1... come on. Of course we are on the winning team. It's part of the fun of having roommates.

I guess this is the only guy I've seen who can't take care of himself. I have no idea how he has a girlfriend. Well, TAed her girlfriend, and I must say... she isn't bright either. I think it will be fun.

Also, I communicated to him 3 times about the loud bass. It's not like I don't tell the guy.

Learn to play electric guitar, but really badly, and get a 60 watt practice amp so there is constant feedback.

Buy him a headset and invent a clever line to give him the present.

JasonRox said:
You obviously do NOT listen to hiphop...

JasonRox said:
Ok, my roommate plays heavy bass music CONSTANTLY. He's currently playing it this morning. He uses it to wake up, but it wakes everybody up. It's his alarm system.

It's very annoying.

Solution 1 - I started playing my own loud music that's louder than his and he's not hearing impaired. Also, I have the sub under the bed... he's right under me.

Solution 2 - I will do this if it goes too far. Doing it constantly until January. I will go into his room when he's away for the weekend. I will open his subwoofer box and cut a wire... o:) What happened?! I have no idea. o:) Maybe the subwoofer blew up. o:)

I have other solutions but those are the only two I will do. There are other solutions I'm considering before Solution 2.

Note: From friends, they would never ever do anything to displease me because I'm like the biggest con artist. :blushing: Because I get them back and never know it was related to me, and everything could spiral down, and they would be clueless on what happened.

Anyways, what's up with loud music people play randomly? I only play it before going out and such.

Note: I told him that his bass is too high. But because he's inconsiderate and retarded... he will pay pay pay pay pay.

The girl beside me in rez first year was a similar annoyance... only she listened to the most god awful country music... so loud the whole building could hear it. My dad makes speakers and amps so I grabbed the biggest I could find and down loaded Dir En Grey. It is possibly the most irritating music on the planet... Japanese metal! Trust me, youll drive him up the wall.

noumed said:
You obviously do NOT listen to hiphop...

Haha, I was playing... Milli by Lil Wayne, No Stress by Lauren Wolf, and a bunch of other club music this morning.

My next thing to do on the weekend is to leave the music play when I go out Saturday morning/afternoon. He likes to sleep in until 3pm. Good luck with all the music playing. When I get back... Oops, I forgot to stop the music. o:)

Try:
Super Sic With It - Mistah FAB
Get 'Em High - Kanye West
Can't Forget About You - NAS

If you like techno, try:
Faster Kill Pussycat - Paul Oakenfold

Leave those on repeat for the whole day and see what happens...

File a complaint with the landlord? I assume you did not choose this roommate.

Or if you did, then I would cut power to his room every night before you go to bed. A switch in the fuse/circuit breaker box should do the trick. Make sure he's already asleep though.

If the music is loud enough that it bothers the neighbours, you might be able to get him into trouble depending on what your local noise ordinances allow.

A very small slit somewhere in the cone of the sub woofer will tear in no time. He'll think it was because he was pushing the bass too much.

Whoops. Am I feeding the beast here?

I meant to say that you should be forgiving and patient. He will eventually be totally overwhelmed with your selflessness that he will want to turn the music down.

Stab him in the ears with with those shish kebab pokers so he goes deaf. No more music.

Small quantities of nitroglycerin placed strategically throughout his room such that they will detonate with the base?

Okay, I've got one... how about you rig up some kind of microphone attached to a switch based on decibel level so that when the music is turned up above a certain decibel level a couple additional subwoofers out in the hallway of the apartment building, above the ceiling tiles so they're hidden and pressed up against the ceiling and opposite wall of the hallway, rebroadcast whatever is going on in your apartment. And you have some master cutoff switch.

That way, inexplicably the neighbors only come to the door to complain when he's playing his music.

But to concur with what Vanadium said, yeah, you're not making any issues out of "respect" here, really the complete opposite rather.

I hate acoustics. I took the GRE on Saturday and I sat in a spot where if I was looking at my test I could hear the clock ticking, but if I turned my head it was silent. Very annoying. =/

Okay, you said you had 3 roommates. So, are the other two going to have to suffer through this battle of the bass? If you start that, they may both then decide to just kill the two of you in your sleep! But, if the two of them are in on it and keep the same sort of hours you do, then go for it...all three of you blast music at him on Saturday mornings when he's sleeping in...especially if he's sleeping in because he's hungover. :devil: Oh, and hide all the aspirin/ibuprofen.

I concur. Blast music at midnight "because it helps you study" or whatever.

Have you considered asking him to turn down the volume?

JasonRox said:

It's very annoying.

Isn't it time that you got your own apartment? Roommate problems are inevitable. I had problems even with my own friends. Your " home " is always going to be the place where you be yourself and apparently your roommate has some unique quirks , you are not going to get him to change his habit , should you play one of your pranks he may just find that you are freaky. One of my previous roommates was the same way , we had several arguments including one where I threw a shoe across the room and eventually we both just got freaked by each other.

My recommendation ... earplugs.

Yeah, don't you need space for your harem? :-p

(Just kidding, just kidding, I know it's not like that. Just playing off of your legendary volcano-hot manliness.)

Could try some Black Flag, there's good bass (the instrument) intros...

binzing said:
Could try some Black Flag, there's good bass (the instrument) intros...

Makes me wonder what a bass (the fish) intro would be.

lisab said:
Makes me wonder what a bass (the fish) intro would be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
Okay, you said you had 3 roommates. So, are the other two going to have to suffer through this battle of the bass? If you start that, they may both then decide to just kill the two of you in your sleep! But, if the two of them are in on it and keep the same sort of hours you do, then go for it...all three of you blast music at him on Saturday mornings when he's sleeping in...especially if he's sleeping in because he's hungover. :devil: Oh, and hide all the aspirin/ibuprofen.

Haha, no I got the worse because I'm above him. I only play the bass when they are not around actually. They usually leave at 7:30am.

I even set him a message on MSN this morning. "Can you turn down the bass in the morning." I didn't want to get out of bed, go downstairs, knock on his door to say that for the 4th time this year.

Believe it or not, his music shake the house.

I was thinking of installing a loud buzzing machine in his room. Have it remote controlled so I can play it at night. And since he's so lazy, and dirty, he will never bother to find it or not be able to find it in the mess. I think this is the best solution. No damage is being made. I'll find out if I can make the buzzing noise from my vent to his, and see if that works, if it does, that would be perfect. When I go to bed, my hearing aid comes off, so I won't hear a thing while he will hear that buzzing noise from the vents! LOL!

GCT said:
Isn't it time that you got your own apartment? Roommate problems are inevitable. I had problems even with my own friends. Your " home " is always going to be the place where you be yourself and apparently your roommate has some unique quirks , you are not going to get him to change his habit , should you play one of your pranks he may just find that you are freaky. One of my previous roommates was the same way , we had several arguments including one where I threw a shoe across the room and eventually we both just got freaked by each other.

My recommendation ... earplugs.

Earplugs won't do it. My problem is the BASS shakes the house. Earplugs isn't going to stop the house from shaking.

My advice if you choose the vindictive route: Cutting the wire is too obvious... get into the speaker and mess with the circuitry. :devil: Place something in the circuit that will overheat, and make a large pop, smoke, or even (if there's a noticeable fuse) draw too much current if it's played loud. Bingo. :smile: Do it with enough speakers (pop/smoke version)... and maybe he'll turn down the volume, realizing he can't afford the cost. He probably won't "repair" a speaker he thinks is broken (you volunteer to "take it to the thrift" or "put it outside by the dumpster", and repair it beforehand so that someone can get some use out of it).

P.S. If you chose the vindictive route, it's better to just not let anyone know you're doing it. Silence is golden.

*makes note to never cross physics girl phd*

physics girl phd said:
Silence is golden.

Well yeah, that's why he needs help

Passive response: "My recommendation ... earplugs.

Aggressive response: "Have you considered asking him to turn down the volume?"

Very aggressive response: "Stab him in the ears with with those shish kebab pokers so he goes deaf. No more music."

Passive-aggressive response: "I started playing my own loud music that's louder than his and he's not hearing impaired. Also, I have the sub under the bed... he's right under me."

Passive-aggressive response: "A very small slit somewhere in the cone of the sub woofer will tear in no time. He'll think it was because he was pushing the bass too much."

Actually, I feel the same way about cars on the road with excessive bass. I could probably drive right over their car (fortunately, the pick-up trucks with gun racks usually play good country music).

BobG said:
good country music

There's an oxymoron in there somewhere Bob.

JasonRox said:
Earplugs won't do it. My problem is the BASS shakes the house. Earplugs isn't going to stop the house from shaking.

Could you guys set up some type of an arbitration situation with fellow roommates - find a better roommate - or complain to your landlord?

BobG said:
good country music

NeoDevin said:
There's an oxymoron in there somewhere Bob.

So true. If it didn't contain an oxymoron, it wouldn't be a good country song.

I went camping in France once and there were these french guys playing some really loud and crappy french songs on their car radio (doors open, etc). Our group was very tolerant for a while and hoped that it would be for just one or two songs (everybody is allowed to do that every now and then, I do too, I understand). When it carried on we thought we'd wait 'til their battery went flat... he started his car to charge it. So... I opened all my car doors, put on my stereo and cranked it (it being my Messhugga CD, heavy metal for those who don't know) up to the proverbial 11. They quickly got the message and switched off their music completely. Success!

Problem was: 1. I didn't want them to switch off completely, I mean they're allowed to listen to music and 2. I felt like a real @ss after that and actually wish I'd handled it differently. I still think of it now when I think about handling something aggressively and it helps to keep me in check.

Therefore, my advice: Don't be an @ss and destroy his property (or his eardrums). Ask and ask and ask and if that doesn't work, well then tough sh#&. If he doesn't know why he is being punished, he won't learn. So just making noises in his room or cutting his cones or farting in his pillow or feeding him laxomaxo5000 (the last two were not already meantioned and have been added for reference only :devil:) will just make him think you're an ***. You'll be a better man for it and will respect yourself more in the long run. You could also just wake up earlier and use the time to go to the gym, go for a run, go and study in the library. This is the most positive approach and you'll gain something from it too. :approve: