Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dear University of Maryland Family

1. Jul 27, 2009 #1
    Great............ any one else in Academia getting such emails?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Re: ................

Yes, what's your whining about this time?

4. Jul 27, 2009 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep. Getting furlough days here.

5. Jul 27, 2009 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In Washington state, we have a *wonderful* program called Running Start. High school juniors and seniors can take college-level courses at any community college, and get credit for high school and college at the same time. And the state picks up the tab!

A kid who is motivated and bright can graduate from high school with 2 years of fully transferable college credit already earned. Cutting the cost of a college education in half is a huge benefit for low income families.

My daughter is in the program - she loves it.

Well, we just got notice that now a lot of fees won't be covered anymore. This won't be a problem for us, but there are a lot of families who won't be able to participate in this program. Such a loss, and it's hardest for kids who can least afford it.

6. Jul 29, 2009 #5

You're not the only one. I'm a grad student with less than a year to go on my PhD and as a result of this stuff I've just lost funding, health insurance, and tuition coverage.

7. Jul 29, 2009 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's pretty stupid; how do they justify doing such a thing? A year's grad student funding is hardly going to save the university much!

8. Jul 29, 2009 #7

Yup...and other ways they are trying to cut costs are by paying TA's less and removing journal subscriptions from the library. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot to save a PENNY. At the same time they are still wasting millions on construction of new campus buildings and hiring of people with over 350k salaries.

9. Jul 29, 2009 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's terrible! I am really sorry to hear that. Are you taking out loans to finish up?

10. Jul 29, 2009 #9

I'm at a canadian university but every month or so I get a "state of the proverbial union" type address about the universities financial situtation. Fortunately, my university seems to be taking the tact of plowing their way, more or less, through the recession and has not announced any pay or funding cuts and, as of yet, no hiring freeze. This could be a collosal oversight or a really good idea. Like so many things, only time will tell.

11. Jul 29, 2009 #10

I'm still juggling a couple alternatives, but that's a probable one :frown:

12. Jul 29, 2009 #11

Are you under or over 4 years in the program?

13. Jul 29, 2009 #12

This will be my 4th year, why do you ask?

14. Jul 29, 2009 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well you gotta consider how new buildings were probably years in planning and already under financial obligations and people who get thta kind of insane salaries might be bringing in a whole mess of money into the university. Kinda like cutting the finger off to save the hand. At my university, our department had to lay off every lecturer save 2. It does make one wonder what were these universities doing when times were good and money was flowing in. Hell a few years ago, the president of our university was raving and going on and on about how we're going to have the biggest class ever and they were so proud and everything was going great. This is a california state university so I dont think I need to remind anyone of the situation as of right now.

15. Jul 29, 2009 #14

Well I though universities guaranteed funding for the first 4 years. Then you are potentially on your own.

16. Jul 29, 2009 #15

negitron

Science Advisor

Honestly, are these baiting posts truly necessary? I sure hope not because they are REALLY getiing on my nerves. We get it, you don't like Cyrus--we ALL get it. Seriously, please, cut it out; what are you, 12? Just ignore him if you feel you must.

17. Jul 29, 2009 #16

He's in love with me, but doesn't realize the feelings are not mutual (It's because he's an illegal alien). You'll have to excuse pengwunio, he's a jerk.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  18. Jul 29, 2009 #17

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Pengwuino is joking; it's their "thing."

19. Jul 29, 2009 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:cry: :cry: :cry:

just kidding. why did you make this thread anyways, i thought you're still in junior high.

Yes, we've destroyed many-a-threads with our wonderful back and forth intellectual conversations.

20. Jul 29, 2009 #19

negitron

Science Advisor

I thought jokes were supposed to be funny.

21. Jul 29, 2009 #20

A common misconception.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook