#dearMoon: Flight around the Moon accepts applications

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the dearMoon website has announced that Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa will be flying eight members of the public on a SpaceX Starship flight to the Moon in 2023. The flight will take about 6 days and is open to individuals from all over the world, as long as they have activities that can benefit from the trip. However, the timeline and details of the mission are subject to change due to the ongoing development and testing of the Starship rocket. This mission presents an exciting opportunity for scientific research and innovation, but safety and caution remain a top priority.
TL;DR Summary
If you do something creative that could benefit from flying around the Moon, you might actually get a chance to do so.
dearMoon website
Japanese billionaire to fly eight members of the public on SpaceX moon flight

The number of spaceflight seats open to the general public (not only multimillionaires and career astronauts) just increased from 2 to 10. And it's not just orbiting Earth - it's going to the Moon.

Yusaku Maezawa pays for a Starship flight with 10-12 passengers. His original plan was to invite artists, but with the huge range of artistic activities to choose from he decided to reverse that - let people apply and select 8 from there. It's generally open to everyone (unlike Inspiration4 it's not limited to US citizens), but you should have some activity that will benefit from you flying around the Moon. Presumably the selection will use that potential benefit as main criterion. Deadline is March 14.

The flight is planned for 2023 and will take about 6 days. It's a free-return trajectory, a single pass behind the Moon without entering orbit.
Starship is still in development. Unlike Crew Dragon, which has flown people to space and returned them, Starship has not flown to orbit yet. Human-rating the rocket will take some time as well. Delays are likely and the few details we have might change.

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing this exciting news about the dearMoon website and the opportunity for members of the public to fly to the Moon on a SpaceX Starship flight. I am thrilled to see that space exploration is becoming more accessible to a wider range of individuals.

This mission not only offers a unique and once-in-a-lifetime experience for the selected passengers, but it also opens up possibilities for scientific research and innovation. I am particularly interested in how the selection process will prioritize individuals with activities that can benefit from this trip, as this will likely lead to a diverse group of passengers with a variety of backgrounds and expertise.

However, as mentioned in the forum post, there are still many factors that can affect the timeline and details of this mission. I understand the importance of thorough testing and human-rating a rocket before sending people into space. I hope that safety and caution will remain a top priority throughout the development and execution of this mission.

Overall, I am excited to see how this mission will unfold and the potential impact it can have on both space exploration and our society as a whole. Thank you again for sharing this news with the forum community.

1. What is the #dearMoon project?

The #dearMoon project is a private space mission organized by Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa. It aims to send a group of artists on a flight around the Moon aboard SpaceX's Starship spacecraft in 2023.

2. Who can apply for the flight around the Moon?

Anyone over the age of 18 can apply for the #dearMoon flight. The selection process is open to people from all around the world, regardless of their nationality or profession.

3. What are the requirements to be selected for the #dearMoon flight?

The main requirements to be selected for the #dearMoon flight are having a passion for art and a strong desire to contribute to the project's mission of promoting world peace through art. Applicants must also be in good physical and mental health and be able to pass the required medical and psychological tests.

4. How can I apply for the #dearMoon flight?

To apply for the #dearMoon flight, you can visit the project's official website and fill out the application form. You will be required to provide personal information, a brief introduction of yourself, and a statement explaining why you want to join the mission.

5. What happens after I submit my application for the #dearMoon flight?

After submitting your application, a team of experts will review it and select the most suitable candidates for the flight. If you are selected, you will be contacted for further interviews and evaluations. The final decision on who will be part of the mission will be made by Yusaku Maezawa.